• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ants

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ants"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    5) Get some foam sealant and block up your holes.
    I guess I'll have to concrete my garden

They've taken over my lawn and patio, most of the shrubberies and the front drive, the little barstewards are probably destroying my foundations as we speak

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    1) Store all opened food in an airtight box.
    2) Locate the their lines.
    3) Squeeze washing up liquid along the line.
    4) Watch ants die.
    5) Get some foam sealant and block up your holes.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Just some cheap powder, but it does kills them off. We just put a trail of the powder arount the perimeter of any access points and soon enough they die off. And then come back

The blue syrup sounds like a good idea... bait them in and wipe 'em out. What's it called?
    Loxiran

You need to check that the ants don't actually have a colony in the Kitchen, particularly when they appear out of nowhere like in the pie. When there's a column like in your Kipling pie they will lap up the poison, go back to the colony and then get wiped out. You can then at least avoid horrible nasty surprises like your pie being full of ants, but then a new colony will appear after a few days, usually small numbers which then grow rapidly, but the Loxiran will wipe them out again. Unfortunately ants seem to be very good at starting new colonies. The ones I have don't swarm or fly around, I think they would be easier to get rid of.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 4 June 2010, 10:00.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Come on they must do a smaller version, cos he said he lives in a flat.
    They do indeed:

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    What kind of poison do you use?

I use a blue sweet syrup which you put in a container, Loxiran. <snip>
    Just some cheap powder, but it does kills them off. We just put a trail of the powder arount the perimeter of any access points and soon enough they die off. And then come back

The blue syrup sounds like a good idea... bait them in and wipe 'em out. What's it called?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    I've got the same problem, ants everywhere. Have laid down the poison all over my kitchen, but the main thing is to store anything sweet in a sealed container... yesterday I was eating an apple pie (stored in the usual Kipling box) and found ants in it!!!

I thing the ant population in this country has increased rapidly in the past 5 years. Hopefully they'll leave once Sterling falls further.
    What kind of poison do you use?

I use a blue sweet syrup which you put in a container, Loxiran. When there's a lot of ants in one place, great stuff they lap it up and then the colony in that part of he flat disappers. But I'm wondering whether to use granules and just sprinkle them everywhere in the flat. I suspect they can survive on "dust" in the crevices, until there's too many of them, so probably I can't completely eliminate them. Have a feeling small colonies get started and before I notice it, they've already started another one somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I've got the same problem, ants everywhere. Have laid down the poison all over my kitchen, but the main thing is to store anything sweet in a sealed container... yesterday I was eating an apple pie (stored in the usual Kipling box) and found ants in it!!!

I thing the ant population in this country has increased rapidly in the past 5 years. Hopefully they'll leave once Sterling falls further.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Aha excellent, got the one on the scout ants, that's what I see from time to time so I need to squash those and then put posion down when I see they've formed a column.
    Try this link too:

Kill ants without pesticides

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    This might help:

How to get rid of ants
    Aha excellent, got the one on the scout ants, that's what I see from time to time so I need to squash those and then put posion down when I see they've formed a column.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    This might help:

How to get rid of ants

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Come on they must do a smaller version, cos he said he lives in a flat.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    I have an infestation of ants in my flat. Started last year in the kitchen, but I got some poison, and they disappeared. Anyway in spring they started reappearing. The first few times they appeared I put the poison down and they disappeared again, but they keep coming back. I use the poison that gets rid of the colony, but it seems like they keep setting up new colonies. Would a professional pest controller do anything different? How would they eliminate the "hidden" ants. I'm just wondering whether it's worth the expense.
    Nope, they'll still keep coming back

I've never been able to get rid of mine, all over my garden and front drive and ocassionally come into the house.

Got someone in a couple of years back and they disappeared briefly before comeing back with a vengency the following year.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Get one of these.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Move house, make sure you put down lots of poison prior to any viewings.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    started a topic Ants

Ants

I have an infestation of ants in my flat. Started last year in the kitchen, but I got some poison, and they disappeared. Anyway in spring they started reappearing. The first few times they appeared I put the poison down and they disappeared again, but they keep coming back. I use the poison that gets rid of the colony, but it seems like they keep setting up new colonies. Would a professional pest controller do anything different? How would they eliminate the "hidden" ants. I'm just wondering whether it's worth the expense.

Working...
X