• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best 20 Concerts - and those that got away!"

Collapse

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Best : Zeppelin (Knebworth).

Enjoyed : Them Crooked Vultures, Robert Plant, Meat Loaf, The Police.

Regret : Floyd, Queens of The Stone Age, Nirvana.

Disappointed : AC/DC (1980 something : TOO BLOODY LOUD)

Recent : Pendulum (last week).

Next : Gorillaz (September).

Want : Seasick Steve.
    Last edited by OrangeHopper; 2 June 2010, 16:59.

Leave a comment:

• Grasser73
    replied
    The Macc Lads at Basins in Portsmouth, in 1986 I think.
    Sloped off early from the late shift (pre-contract days) - it was worth it.

Same band at Liverpool Royal Court in 1989. Never seen so many flying drinks at a gig before or since. One of them got stuck in a lighting gantry and blew a lamp.
    Support was Eddie Sh!t (in nothing but a pink leotard) and Mr Methane. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    The one and only Electric Light Orchestra on their Zoom tour 2001 at the Anvil, Basingstoke. Best gig ever.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Helloween at Donnington, best opening band ever.

Dave Lee Roth at the same event. Not so much for the music but he put on a great show.

out.
    I was at that. I was down at the front for the GnR kids getting crushed thing. I was working at a bedding factory and we had these long tubes of ploythene for packing the quilts. We cut off lengths and tied the tops and pushed our arms through and there we stood looking like 5 giant condoms in the rain.

Best concert I went to was Faith No More in Leeds Uni Refrectory, but also GnR supported by Faster Pusseycat, Dave Lee Roth on Little Aint Enough tour at Wembely, Roger Waters doing DSOM in Liverpool, Eagles just because I wanted to see them before they died, Metallica a couple of years ago, Three Doors Down because I never thought I'd see them over here and it was in a tiny venue, Journey, because I didn't think I'd ever see them, Ozzy Ultimate Sin as it was my first, FnM at Download last year because I didn't think I'd ever get to see them again

I want to see Roger Waters do the wall next year - I'm on the preorder thing.

The worst one I saw was Saxon, supported by roudness (as they say it) from Japan. Didn't know a single song and don't know why we bought tickets. Saw Def Leppard on the hysteria tour and decided there and then that Joe Elliot really has a tulip voice! Still got him to sign my program, along with the dead one!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Lou Reed, Hammersmith Odeon, 1978

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Twot... I wish I'd seen the Sisters circa 84 -what was the line up when you saw them?
    The best one, Eldrich, Hussey, Marx, Adams and Dr Avalanche in 85.
    Last edited by Mr Crosby; 3 June 2010, 12:24.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Derek, Frog and Frigate, any Friday / Sat night circa 1994.
    Last edited by Moscow Mule; 2 June 2010, 11:54.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    The Rolling Stones at Stade Velodrome, Marseilles - it pissed it down!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    AC/DC at the then Wembly Arena, found a ticket in the streat on the way there that was way better than the one I had. Flogged mine to a tout outside and used the money to buy a t-shirt.

Iron Maiden at the same venue, rode home on the tube with my head resting on the window cos my neck was too knackerd to hold it up.

Wasp at the Hammersmith Odeon

Jethro Tull at the same.

Pink Floyd at Docklands Arena. Even better cos I worked there up untill a few weeks previous and managed to blag my way in with my expired security pass and get a seat in front of the mixing desk.

Helloween at Donnington, best opening band ever.

Dave Lee Roth at the same event. Not so much for the music but he put on a great show.

Dumpy's Rusty Nuts at the union bar back in god knows when, hot, sweaty, loud and a great night out.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Just got my tickets for King of Leon in Hyde Park - that is going to be awesome...
    That will be amazing!! Love 'em!

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Twot... I wish I'd seen the Sisters circa 84 -what was the line up when you saw them?
    I saw them in 88. It was after the Mission had formed and Patricia Morrison (?) was wailing on vocals.

The Mission played their farewell tour last year - sadly I was unaware and missed it

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    It probably was not the best gig I've seen but it is one of the ones that I am chuffed to bits I was at - Red Hot Chili Peppers, Portsmouth Poly Student Union in 1990.

After six years of trying they had finally put together the line up that took them to greatness. Their material was still a bit ropey in those days so it is not going to be the best gig ever I've ever seen but it was a world away from the arenas and stadiums that you see them at now.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by rsingh View Post
    Sisters of mercy in brum

All were brilliant
    P

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Bit of new-comer to concerts.

1. Foo fighters Hyde Park 2006, support from Queens of the Stone Age and Motorhead. Brian May and Roger Taylor surprise performances

2. Foo fighters Wembley 2008, good but not as good as 1 and 3

3. Green Day at wembley arena, last Nov. Will def see these again, they were entertainment personified.

My partner went to see Take that at Wembley and although not a take that fan was well impressed with the spectacle.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 2 June 2010, 07:22.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Mine are:

REM 1983 Manchester Gallery, 50p to get in, supported by Chris Seivey late of the Freshies.

Joy Division BIHE Refrectory, about 1979...

The Bangles!!

Jason and the Scorchers/Long Ryders 85 ish, Manchester International

Big miss was The Church, went to Clouds in Preston mid 80's but discovered my train back was after they came on so I went home. Very rock and Roll. Still, heard 'em practising from the top of the club steps about tea time....

And, a few months later they were supporting Duran Duran and Manchester Apollo and they didn't turn up so I fooked off home. Or was it Echo and the Bunnymen? Two times I walked off in disgust as some random event at the Apollo.

Others, good and bad...;

Boy-period U2...
    SLF
    Pre-Wind of Change Scorps...
    Michael Schenker Group
    The Jam, last tour
    Rush
    Dire Straits (boring)
    Wire Train
    10,000 Maniacs (though I don't remember this, my bro assures me we went..)
    New Model Army
    Happy Mondays
    Bert Weedon (yes!)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X