• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "£6 billion spending cuts to be announced today"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    I don't know how widespread first class travel is in the civil service but I'd want it be broadly in line with the private sector.
    For example, only a certain grade and above.

So very senior people should be allowed it and even then if they do without when it's not needed then that is looked on very favourably. Otherwise no, because it's too expensive. Just like a well run business.
    The expense form I used in my early career had a declaration you had to sign which said that the expenses were "wholly and necessarily incurred" for the business. That covered such situations quite well.
    Last edited by Sysman; 25 May 2010, 06:19.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post

Pig with snout in the trough.

Being an MP is not an important job, its a job to claim expenses.

Just ask Jacqui Smith.
    HTH.
    Fine, hard to argue with such a media-led generalisation well-constructed argument. You certainly convinced me that arguing with you is a waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    It's all about fashion.

The wisdom of herds: How social mood moves the world - opinion - 24 May 2010 - New Scientist

Leave a comment:

• Peter Loew
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Looks like the bulk (£2 billion) is coming from savings in "IT programmes, suppliers and property". Is this mainly going to affect Bob, or are there some here going to be or already affected?
    We are. 50% budget cuts on all new money in the PS organisation I am currently in as a result of this.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Yeah but, out of interest, how much were you spending during that time on business class travel out of your own pocket? If you were flying semi-regularly must have been thousands.
    FFS, do you remember your company spends from over a decade ago!

Anyway, in those days I wasn't flying as much as I did later.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    I would always travel 1st Class, or business.

as a means to protect my businesses primary revenue generating resource.
    Makes sense to me - 1st class is closer to the platform exit/entry, so this made you more punctual - very wise investment, I trust that you did not charge it on your client's account though.

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    I was actually refering to the period when I was a UK contractor which would be prior to 2000-ish.
    Yeah but, out of interest, how much were you spending during that time on business class travel out of your own pocket? If you were flying semi-regularly must have been thousands.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    How much was that costing you a year? A business plane ticket can easily be a thousand pounds more than economy one.
    I was actually refering to the period when I was a UK contractor which would be prior to 2000-ish.

Post that time .... er ..... it would be best if I keep my gob shut.

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    When I was a UK contractor and using trains, planes, etc I would always travel 1st Class, or business.
    How much was that costing you a year? A business plane ticket can easily be a thousand pounds more than economy one.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    An MP is just a scummy person that is no better than the proles. However, things could be argued for a minister at some level.

When I was a UK contractor and using trains, planes, etc I would always travel 1st Class, or business. This was not only to feed my grandiose personality disorder, but also as a means to protect my businesses primary revenue generating resource. You guys should consider that before slagging people off for keeping out of cattle class. Also thinking that you'll save money or don't deserve it is a false economy if you end up not being able to earn.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Travelling in comfort when you are a public figure whose job involves a lot of travel is not having your "snout in the trough". It's bad enough for a regular person to get any work done in standard class, if you're recognisable then forget it.
    Being an MP is an important job, MPs should get privileges that make their job easier.

Pig with snout in the trough.

Just ask Jacqui Smith.
    HTH.

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    I also used to travel business as standard, but then when the bad times hit I got forced into cattle. The difference was clear. When I had a private lounge with wiifi and food I would get there early (in my own time) and work there till the flight. Once I had to do cattle My laptop went in my luggage and I didn't work. So £100 saving cost £1000 in time that could not be billed...
    Are you paying the difference out of your own pocket, and earning from the billed hours, yourself?

I shudder to think about how many hours I have spent in airports and lounge access really isn't a big deal. Not having it certainly wouldn't prevent me from working if money was at stake.

It's one of those classic things which I'll happily use when free or someone else is paying (and feed them some old BS about how it ups my productivity) but if it's coming out of my own pocket not a chance.

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    It's called capitalism, not entitlement. I work hard to reach a point where I'm a valuable resource, not another bum-on-seat, and reap the rewards for it.
    I don't know how widespread first class travel is in the civil service but I'd want it be broadly in line with the private sector.

So very senior people should be allowed it and even then if they do without when it's not needed then that is looked on very favourably. Otherwise no, because it's too expensive. Just like a well run business.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Why?
    The actual statement should read we ban 1st and business class travel however no longer expect the person in question to work during their travel time...

I caught some representatives from a major accountancy firm talking about customer stuff on the 7.13 morning train from Bath a few years ago. I happened to know one of the partners concerned and had "A Chat" when I got to work. If the idiots concerned had been in first class they would have only exposed the information to 5 people instead of 90 odd...

I also used to travel business as standard, but then when the bad times hit I got forced into cattle. The difference was clear. When I had a private lounge with wiifi and food I would get there early (in my own time) and work there till the flight. Once I had to do cattle My laptop went in my luggage and I didn't work. So £100 saving cost £1000 in time that could not be billed...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You seem to have some sense of entitlement to luxury - if you really think it's a worthwhile expense then you should pay your own money from your high salary.
    It's called capitalism, not entitlement. I work hard to reach a point where I'm a valuable resource, not another bum-on-seat, and reap the rewards for it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X