• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are contractors going to be "tax winners"?"

Collapse

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    no, but provided the tax system is fair and reflects the risks that contractors face (6 months on the bench and not a penny taken from public coffers), i wouldn't mind paying.
    wcs

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Is there withholding tax on CGT liable transactions?

If not, you can go somewhere nice & warm and sell your shares from there with no tax to pay...
    Well that´s what I will have to do. It´s not so much the pension though that´s a long time away, and as you say I can go somwhere sunny, it´s if I want to trade the shares in for a house, that´s when I´ll take the hit. The other thing is I don´t want to sell them in one lump, I want to sell them as I need the money, i.e buy a house, and hold back funds for my pension. About 50% Í´m keeping for a house and the other 50% is my pension, and if I retire in Britain with a house I don´t necessarily want to go and live in Bermuda, just to avoid tax.

Reducing the CGT was the one single great thing Labour did, and then they go and reverse it.

Oh well
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 May 2010, 08:41.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    In 5 years I will be voting labour just to make sure that everyone else gets an appropriate tax increase to match mine, and no I´ll be spending my retirement else where.
    Is there withholding tax on CGT liable transactions?

If not, you can go somewhere nice & warm and sell your shares from there with no tax to pay...

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Well my pension is basically in my own private investments in shares (I don´t trust banks), so I´ll be hit by the 40% tax rate, that´ll make it difficult for me to get a house in the UK unless house prices drop significantly, and it´ll hit my pension.

In 5 years I will be voting labour just to make sure that everyone else gets an appropriate tax increase to match mine, and no I´ll be spending my retirement else where.

That´ll teach em...
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 May 2010, 08:27.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    No, but provided the tax system is fair and reflects the risks that contractors face (6 months on the bench and not a penny taken from public coffers), I wouldn't mind paying.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    started a topic Are contractors going to be "tax winners"?

Are contractors going to be "tax winners"?

Under the new Con/Lib government, will we be better off because we pay low salary and divis?

Linky - discuss.

Working...
X