• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "M25 commute - how bad?"

Collapse

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Lifetime >= 3 score + 10 >= 70

You've spent (some) of the last 25 years listening to Radio 4.

I guess you could mean it seemed like (1/2) a lifetime?
    Guess so, yes. R4's never been the same since Brian Redhead sadly departed this mortal coil though.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Yes, the hours I've spent listening to Radio 4 over the last 25 years, almost half a lifetime!
    Lifetime >= 3 score + 10 >= 70

You've spent (some) of the last 25 years listening to Radio 4.

I guess you could mean it seemed like (1/2) a lifetime?

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Yes, the hours I've spent listening to Radio 4 over the last 25 years, almost half a lifetime!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Being on the motorway from around 6PM to 8PM is enjoyable even when congestion drags you down, as long as you listen to Radio 4

You start out with the news - you don't have all the magazine-style elements of PM (not that I'm knocking them) but just a good thirty minute summary of all the salient stories.

Then you get a half-hour of comedy. Remember that, apart from stalwarts like Just a Minute and I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, there's a lot of TV comedy that originates from Radio 4: HIGNFY is The News Quiz, Peep Show derives from That Mitchell and Webb Sound, and a lot of the stuff that stays on Radio 4 is still better than you'll find anywhere else.

After the news headlines at 7PM you have The Archers - don't knock it, if you're often in the car at that time of day it's enjoyable to follow along, but not addictive (I've never listened to it at home, but have kept close tabs on the storylines when I happen to have been in the car frequently at 7:02PM).

After that is Front Row, an interesting arts programme - I've bought books and music as a result of hearing about them on there whilst gazing at the tailback before me (foreback?), and sometimes thought of making a trip to some city (admittedly, it's usually London) for the sake of some exhibition or show they talk about. I never have done, but it's nice to have something to dream about as you gradually get up to 12MPH

From 7:45PM to 8PM there's a book dramatisation, which is usually very good even though it's borrowed from Woman's Hour (I'll get some stick for that...)

If you still haven't got to your destination, on most days other than Friday (Question Time) the 8:02PM slot has an interesting factual programme - for example, last Wednesday you could have listened to an examination of why and how some people (such as expense-fiddling MPs) seem to be Above the Law.

A while ago, I bought one of those things that would let me play my iPod or such over the car stereo by short-range radio transmission. I can see it from here, still in its package. If your car is able to receive Radio 4, you don't need anything else to keep you entertained during a journey of any length at any time
    WHS, except the Archers bit. Unfortunately the Archers always seem to be on when I'm travelling on Sundays and I can't bear it.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Being on the motorway from around 6PM to 8PM is enjoyable even when congestion drags you down, as long as you listen to Radio 4

You start out with the news - you don't have all the magazine-style elements of PM (not that I'm knocking them) but just a good thirty minute summary of all the salient stories.

Then you get a half-hour of comedy. Remember that, apart from stalwarts like Just a Minute and I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, there's a lot of TV comedy that originates from Radio 4: HIGNFY is The News Quiz, Peep Show derives from That Mitchell and Webb Sound, and a lot of the stuff that stays on Radio 4 is still better than you'll find anywhere else.

After the news headlines at 7PM you have The Archers - don't knock it, if you're often in the car at that time of day it's enjoyable to follow along, but not addictive (I've never listened to it at home, but have kept close tabs on the storylines when I happen to have been in the car frequently at 7:02PM).

After that is Front Row, an interesting arts programme - I've bought books and music as a result of hearing about them on there whilst gazing at the tailback before me (foreback?), and sometimes thought of making a trip to some city (admittedly, it's usually London) for the sake of some exhibition or show they talk about. I never have done, but it's nice to have something to dream about as you gradually get up to 12MPH

From 7:45PM to 8PM there's a book dramatisation, which is usually very good even though it's borrowed from Woman's Hour (I'll get some stick for that...)

If you still haven't got to your destination, on most days other than Friday (Question Time) the 8:02PM slot has an interesting factual programme - for example, last Wednesday you could have listened to an examination of why and how some people (such as expense-fiddling MPs) seem to be Above the Law.

A while ago, I bought one of those things that would let me play my iPod or such over the car stereo by short-range radio transmission. I can see it from here, still in its package. If your car is able to receive Radio 4, you don't need anything else to keep you entertained during a journey of any length at any time

Leave a comment:

• oversteer
    replied
    I think the concensus then is that I should be OK getting on the M25 at 6.30am and it will be best to leave for the return journey around 6.00pm.
    M25 clockwise is pretty snarled up most days around 6pm, certainly just after the M40 junction. By about 7pm it's starting to move properly again. However I'm sure you can work out all the alternative routes through Uxbridge/West Drayton/Iver etc

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Agreed, but it must be past its very worst. Besides, I have nowt else to do, listening to MP3's of music that I haven't heard in 20 years for an hour won't hurt.
    Well work it out, average commute probably an hour, on a circular motorway with multiple junctions. I would expect the traffic doesnt ease off until after 7pm

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    librevox.org
    Excellent. Never thought of that.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    librevox.org

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I don't think rush hour ends on the M25 at 6pm
    Agreed, but it must be past its very worst. Besides, I have nowt else to do, listening to MP3's of music that I haven't heard in 20 years for an hour won't hurt.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Thanks again. I think the concensus then is that I should be OK getting on the M25 at 6.30am and it will be best to leave for the return journey around 6.00pm. That's OK anyway, because I'm only going back to digs so nothing is spoiling there. I might as well sit and surf the tinterweb in the office till 6.00pm. On a Friday, if I'm there (and I'll try to avoid Fridays in Leatherhead) then I'll be leaving there at midday at the latest. Last Friday, I left Uxbridge at 11.20am and got back to Manchester around 2.30pm.

Thanks for the local insight, it's really useful.
    I don't think rush hour ends on the M25 at 6pm

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    I do J5-15 and back 2/3 times a week on a motorbike. Much easier but I haven't tried to work out my life expectancy

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Thanks again. I think the concensus then is that I should be OK getting on the M25 at 6.30am and it will be best to leave for the return journey around 6.00pm. That's OK anyway, because I'm only going back to digs so nothing is spoiling there. I might as well sit and surf the tinterweb in the office till 6.00pm. On a Friday, if I'm there (and I'll try to avoid Fridays in Leatherhead) then I'll be leaving there at midday at the latest. Last Friday, I left Uxbridge at 11.20am and got back to Manchester around 2.30pm.

Thanks for the local insight, it's really useful.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    The mornings will not be too bad as long as you don't leave much later. Coming home, especially on Friday will be a nightmare.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I used to do J16 (M40) round to J10(A3) every morning around 8am-9am a couple of years ago, and yes it was slow but it wasn't the nightmare journey some would have you believe. Returning around 6.30pm was usually clear.

I imagine if you're going very early it'll be fine, but will be very busy coming back at 5.30pm.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X