• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: SAP Netweaver

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SAP Netweaver"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Sas,

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yes, glad you got my point.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Sas,

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Chimp,

what are you talking about ?

You mean one day we'll hit the big time ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Unless you're doing development, SAP is DULL with a capital D. Its only draw is money. And there are better ways to get that, even in the IT space...

HTH

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Your time will come.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    sorry mate,

all edited out

Milan.
    I would still leave the part about .net and the full msdn certification. That's a win-win one.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    sorry mate,

all edited out

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Mods, Please delete this thread. Thanks.

Nothing to see here, move along now.

Bensey, you should know better than this.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    ooops

Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 10 April 2010, 18:10.

Leave a comment:

• SofaKingdom
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Sage ?

As Milan said, it's for big big big companies, not noddy outfits.

And remember that most companies which wish to implement SAP will go through a very long procurement process during which they will invite tenders from all and sundry and gauge the responses very carefully. The reason SAP wins is because it's the tool which does the job, not through marketing hype.

That's not to say that there aren't outfits running SAP which shouldn't be. I've come across a few myself, and these were public bodies who are happy to waste taxpayers' money.
    Thanks for the lecture re implementing ERP. The Sage option was included as a piss-take against Milan's assertion that SAP is the only option.

I have been contracting in the ERP arena for nearly 15 years so I have an idea how the procurement process works. Thanks though

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I remember a cover from Freelance Informer in the late 90s, with a bunch of people licking a tree. The caption was - some contractors will do anything to say they've got SAP experience.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by SofaKingdom View Post
    Sage? Peoplesoft? Microsoft Dynamics? Oracle?
    Sage ?

As Milan said, it's for big big big companies, not noddy outfits.

And remember that most companies which wish to implement SAP will go through a very long procurement process during which they will invite tenders from all and sundry and gauge the responses very carefully. The reason SAP wins is because it's the tool which does the job, not through marketing hype.

That's not to say that there aren't outfits running SAP which shouldn't be. I've come across a few myself, and these were public bodies who are happy to waste taxpayers' money.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Who cares why big business use SAP? I'm only interested in the fact that they do, and it pays for my lifestyle very nicely.

But if you do care - here's the sales pitch: SAP covers: sales, purchasing, finance, material management, MRP, production planning, project management, plant maintenance, HR, messaging, SRM, CRM, data warehousing, treasury, accounting, leasing, manufacturing, batch management, company mergers, executive information... . It's configurable and extensible to a high degree, it's integrated and it's scaleable. It's been immensely successful, because it isn't limited to one market sector. While I can think of plenty of software that has any one of the above, or even a collection of them, and does it better, I can't think of anything that has the same scope. Though in recent years interoperability has improved. Many organisations uses Ariba for purchasing, in conjunction with SAP, for example.

btw - ABAP has (in its origins) elements in common with COBOL, but it isn't COBOL any more than Java is C.

Leave a comment:

• SofaKingdom
    replied

then folks, there's only one choice....

Milan.
    Sage? Peoplesoft? Microsoft Dynamics? Oracle?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    for big big big companies, is there any other choice ?

If you want software to cover every part of your big big big enterprise from a to z

and

you do not want all the c r a p of trying to cobble together best of breed
    (where the different vendors blame each other when stuff stops working)

and

you want one phone number when you have a problem....

then folks, there's only one choice....

Milan.
    Nah, that doesn't wash. One sees many a client like one of mine whose SAP installation's only use is for time registration, and because of some money saving exercise now have no one left who knows how it was cobbled together, so all new starters are getting the same 'shift pattern', they're entering those times, even though they may be working different ones, and are keeping track of their flexi on a bit of paper...

So, why do these organisations buy and continue to use SAP?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    oooops

Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 10 April 2010, 18:10.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X