• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "EU Wonky Fruit ban defeated"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    I think this is the beginning of the rot. What next? Wonky cars?
    Er I think we did that to death in the 1950s-1970s

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    So the daftness hasn't been completely repealed.

I agree it mainly seems to be the UK that pays attention to this type of muppetry, I bought some veg in a grocers in Porto the other week and it was all shapes and sizes, but very good and a third of the price I would have paid at home.
    If you buy fruit and veg in a Dutch supermarket it's likely to be a fairly standard shape, but that's because the supermarkets turn down funny shaped veg as it's logistically inconvenient and doesn't sell well. If you buy at the market or a farm shop you'll find delicious produce that often has a wierd appearance. I don't think anyone ever really took any notice of this mad legislation, after all, governments would have to spend money enforcing it and at the moment there are other priorities.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by BBC
    We'd like to see your pictures of fruit and veg that might be aesthetically challenged.
    Is shaped like genitalia

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Excellent. The only thing that made shopping with the wife an experience slightly this side of death was the chance of finding a fruit or veg that I could wave about shouting "Hey this one looks just like a nob!"
    I hold them with provocative stance and loudly proclaim "Ohh arr, fertilizer!"

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    But the rules remain unchanged for 10 types of produce, accounting for three-quarters of EU fruit and vegetable trade.
    They were: apples, citrus fruit, kiwi fruit, lettuces, peaches and nectarines, pears, strawberries, sweet peppers, table grapes and tomatoes.
    So the daftness hasn't been completely repealed.

I agree it mainly seems to be the UK that pays attention to this type of muppetry, I bought some veg in a grocers in Porto the other week and it was all shapes and sizes, but very good and a third of the price I would have paid at home.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    I think this is the beginning of the rot. What next? Wonky cars?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Excellent. The only thing that made shopping with the wife an experience slightly this side of death was the chance of finding a fruit or veg that I could wave about shouting "Hey this one looks just like a nob!"
    Thank god for that. I thought it was only me that did that and I needed help....

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Oh some of it is given to French farmers too, who are always deserving of our help.
    Good point. If we were not lavishing them with Fuel grants they would have insufficient diesel to propel their tractors to the strategic road junctions where they can bring the whole continent to a standstill. I mean just how upsetting can it be to be deprived of your "Don't grow any more Parsnips" subsidy?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Always nice to have it confirmed that the millions we pour into the EU coffers is being effectively targeted at the problems that really matter, and not just being frittered away in a profligate manner.
    Oh some of it is given to French farmers too, who are always deserving of our help.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Always nice to have it confirmed that the millions we pour into the EU coffers is being effectively targeted at the problems that really matter, and not just being frittered away in a profligate manner.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Maybe they didn't but I paid for the pleasure of a load of pompus idiots to discuss it and finally come to their senses.... twice!!!!
    As did all of Europe's taxpayers. The EU parliament is actually just an expensive mental home for those who were too useless to get a job in national governments (which is saying something). Think of it as a sort of 'fletcher memorial home'.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Well thats good for "That's Life" then

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    <eco mentalist mode>
    This is bad for our carbon footprint. Vegetables and fruits with an irregular shape take up more packaging and transport space as they can't be packed tightly, therefore increasing our use of fossil fuels and production of CO2. This is a backward step.
    </eco mentalist mode>

TBH, I don't think anyone in Europe other than the British government really took much notice of this.
    Maybe they didn't but I paid for the pleasure of a load of pompus idiots to discuss it and finally come to their senses.... twice!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    <eco mentalist mode>
    This is bad for our carbon footprint. Vegetables and fruits with an irregular shape take up more packaging and transport space as they can't be packed tightly, therefore increasing our use of fossil fuels and production of CO2. This is a backward step.
    </eco mentalist mode>

TBH, I don't think anyone in Europe other than the British government really took much notice of this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X