• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dumb election questions"

Collapse

• Waldorf
    replied
    This is a good site

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Probably the last thing he does before he himself gets deposed. Whatever the outcome of the election (I expect Labour to remain in power), Brown will be gone. Before the end of the year he will be found hanging from a tree with his wrists slit and no blood on the ground beneath him.
    Probably.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Miserable coward that he is (despite writing a book about courage!), Brown thinks of an election like we would think of an execution. So it's quite possible it will be on the latest possible date.

Also, if anyone thinks of voting Labour because that experienced and nice Mr Darling will go on being Chancellor, think again. If Labour win, Brown would almost certainly appoint Ed Balls as Chancellor.
    Probably the last thing he does before he himself gets deposed. Whatever the outcome of the election (I expect Labour to remain in power), Brown will be gone. Before the end of the year he will be spending time receiving medical treatment of one kind or another and as an inpatient.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

What's the latest they're allowed to do it, June sometime? Waiting until the last minute is normally seen as a bit of a weak position isn't it?
    Miserable coward that he is (despite writing a book about courage!), Brown thinks of an election like we would think of an execution. So it's quite possible it will be on the latest possible date.

Also, if anyone thinks of voting Labour because that experienced and nice Mr Darling will go on being Chancellor, think again. If Labour win, Brown would almost certainly appoint Ed Balls as Chancellor.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    http://www.tacticalvoting.org/

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    1) There is talk that the paraphilia indulging, pant-pissing snot goblin will go and see the other queen on Thursday.
    This has been playing on my mind overnight.

Such a move would completely spike Darling's budget on Wednesday by curtailing the post-budget debate and preventing the Finance Act from being passed, necessitating an immediate post-election budget that could be very different.

Hmmm. It would be interesting to watch, but I am not sure that I can see it happening.

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    In previous years there have been tactical voting campaigns which supplied the data needed - one year there was a scheme for voters to "swap" votes so that their votes counted - relied on trust though.
    Donna Moss does that in The West Wing because she "inadvertently" voted for the wrong guy on the presedential ballot.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    In previous years there have been tactical voting campaigns which supplied the data needed - one year there was a scheme for voters to "swap" votes so that their votes counted - relied on trust though.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I just checked the wikipedia entry which ominously reminds us
    The next United Kingdom general election is due to take place on or before 3 June 2010, barring exceptional circumstances.
    He's going to invade Poland, isn't he.

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    www.theyworkforyou.com , always assuming you are a UK resident!
    If you're not UK resident then simply enter the postcode of the last UK address where you were registered on the Electoral Register. Of course, to vote you must have maintained your entry.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    1) Not announced yet. It takes 4 weeks to organise, so they won't announce until required. However, there are local elections on 6 May, so it will most likely be then.
    I seem to recall that they only need give three weeks notice.

This gives Brown time to call one and hold the election before the Q1 growth figures are released towards the end of April.

Growth is expected to go down again, now that the autumn VAT and QE effects are no longer there, and that's some bad news that won't help Brown's "Don't Risk The Recovery" campaign.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Its these bone-idle Northern monkeys who are dragging the whole country down
    Eee, northerners are the ones who still know how to put in a hard day's work. Or so I hear.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    2) You have little scope for having any impact anywhere in the North East. Labour could put a chimpanzee up for election(and indeed have on numerous occasions!) and provided he wore a red rosette he'd be returned with a healthy majority.
    Its these bone-idle Northern monkeys who are dragging the whole country down

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    As if I know who my MP is
    <cough>

You can put your postcode into the a search on the BBC page I linked to above and it will tell you the results at the last election for the constituency your postcode is in.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    www.theyworkforyou.com , always assuming you are a UK resident!

Leave a comment:

• The Wikir Man
    replied
    Well search for the consituency / town / city / area - there will be a link to the parliamentary constituency which then gives you the breakdown of past result.

Even if there has been a boundary change, I believe.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X