• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What are you reading?"

Collapse

• DiscoStu
    replied
    About to make a start on SuperFreakonomics. Anyone read it yet?

Leave a comment:

• Langkawi
    replied
    The Millenium trilogy - just finished the last one and am gutted they are finished. (author Steig Larsson died before they were published).

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is the first.

Not sure about literature but top class page turners.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Shhh newbie. I agree. But when you want to let lose without consequence its better to come here.
    loose

So sg, when you read HTWFAIP, what language was it in?
    I only ask because you are a spectacular failure on both counts.

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Shhh newbie. I agree. But when you want to let loose without consequence its better to come here.

Less of the newbie! - I'm just quiet. - oh and

edit: apologies sasguru - In the spirit of Dale Carnegie, I meant to say it appears the "o" key on your keyboard may be a bit faulty. - "Don't criticise, condemn, or complain" - it is the first lesson in the book!
    Last edited by al_cam; 12 March 2010, 14:48.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by al_cam View Post
    And has anyone here actually read How to Win Friends and Influence People? It is a brilliant book and essential reading for everyone IMO. Quite a few of the regulars on here are in need of it. I seriously put quite a lot of my success down to it - I think it has helped make me a good manager and I try to read it again every 5 years or so - of course, you need to be introspective to gain anything from it.

Al.
    Shhh newbie. I agree. But when you want to let lose without consequence its better to come here.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Must admit I don't read much nowadays mostly I download stuff from libravox for car journeys to our site by the seaside. That way I don't feel like I'm wasting 2-3 hours of my life each way.

Working through the Prince at present constantly amazed by the insight. Art of War flits through my mind regularly.

Coming to me Low tech (must be said with IceT type of voice) I'm reading yes Prime Minister and warrior of Rome both excellent.

Leave a comment:

• Glazza
    replied
    I read the 2 Ken Follet books (about mediaeval cathedrals) while I was working abroad in the summer. Massive tomes but entertaining enough.
    I love Nostromo and I seem to re-read it over and over again. I also like Dennis Lehane crime novels so pretty eclectic really

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Flashman again.

I wanted to read about Afganistan and McDonald Fraser's history is one of the best.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Strange Angel is excellent. How to be a rocket man & end up totally forgotten.
    Indeed. Parsons is much better known in the occult community (due to his association with Crowley and the way he was allegedly taken for a ride by LRH) than in scientific circles, despite the fact that NASA's space programme is still totally dependent on his breakthroughs in propellant technology.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Just finished The Catcher in the Rye which I did enjoy, but I'm not sure was SO good to inspire a generation of rebellious teenagers.

What's all the fuss about?
    you had to be there. ride the wave and all that

catch the moment. live the dream

fashionable - thats the word

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Hi al_cam. I keep hearing this a lot: People have stopped reading fiction.

I find it quite disturbing. Reading fiction was one of the things that got me through some of the more difficult passages of my life. I can't imagine going through life without the occasional escape that a well-crafted novel provides.
    I don't know why I stopped - in my early teens I was a massive reader. I think the over analysis of works of fiction in English lessons may be the reason. I don't really care what the writer was thinking or meaning - I just want to enjoy the read.

I do read a lot of auto/biographies which are both informative and enjoyable.
    oh - and thinking about it, I told a lie - the last piece of fiction I read was "The Goal" by Goldratt - essential reading for any Industrial Engineer - and there are other fiction based management books such as the One Minute Manager, and I'm actually reading lots of fiction just now - to a 5 and a 3 year old!

And has anyone here actually read How to Win Friends and Influence People? It is a brilliant book and essential reading for everyone IMO. Quite a few of the regulars on here are in need of it. I seriously put quite a lot of my success down to it - I think it has helped make me a good manager and I try to read it again every 5 years or so - of course, you need to be introspective to gain anything from it.

Al.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Classic and Sports Car - April 2010 Edition.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Just finished The Catcher in the Rye which I did enjoy, but I'm not sure was SO good to inspire a generation of rebellious teenagers.

What's all the fuss about?

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    My tulip life so far (I wouldn't bother if you're thinking about it)
    and
    If you liked shcool, you'll love work ...

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Do Not Pass Go by Tim Moore.

A real life trip round the Monopoly board in which he explores the history behind all the locations on the board and the origins of the game. Highly entertaining.
    That's in the "to read" pile. Found it in a charity shop a few weeks back, so it's near the top (since I operate on a LIFO system)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X