• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The problem with CUK...."

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

...is not enough new people joining into General.

I think every poster with a high post count should be banned for a few weeks to let the new blood get a bloody word in edge ways.
    The snag is newbies tend to go to extremes, either dipping a toe in the water and high-tailing it at the first sign of dissent or mick-taking, never to return, or else they dive bomb in without a care in the world and practically drown everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Wouldn't take long to look back at the posting history to confirm who is actually adding any value here and how is just a complete waste of time.

A little pruning afterwards would certainly improve the board me thinks
    Adding value? I'm not getting paid for posting here.

Well, not directly anyway.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    My two pennies worth

<Flame clothes on>

The general forum has deginerated into a vast selection of very bored and senior contractors venting at each & posting tulip. Therefore very unlikely to get any newbies involved.

The general board looks more like a Chat Room or Twitter feed! Perhaps, CUK need to implement something along those lines for said bordies'

</Flame Clothes off>
    Wouldn't take long to look back at the posting history to confirm who is actually adding any value here and how is just a complete waste of time.

A little pruning afterwards would certainly improve the board me thinks

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    My two pennies worth

<Flame clothes on>

The general forum has deginerated into a vast selection of very bored and senior contractors venting at each & posting tulip. Therefore very unlikely to get any newbies involved.

The general board looks more like a Chat Room or Twitter feed! Perhaps, CUK need to implement something along those lines for said bordies'

</Flame Clothes off>
    WHS.

If "General" were actually left to be threads that were of general interest to contractors, and everything else was moved into a "Moaning" forum, then it might clear out some of the dross.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    We should call it Masonic and put Churchill in charge.

Moronic

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    maybe we need a completely private and hidden invitation only sub forum where regulars can bitch and moan to each other without putting off newbies
    Try here.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Now thats interesting. You have to be invited and can get blackballed.

We should call it Masonic and put Churchill in charge.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    maybe we need a completely private and hidden invitation only sub forum where regulars can bitch and moan to each other without putting off newbies

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I think every poster with a high post count should be banned for a few weeks to let the new blood get a bloody word in edge ways.
    You've read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and I claim my 5 Objectivism tokens.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    My two pennies worth

<Flame clothes on>

</Flame Clothes off>
    Not the seniors fault - the rot set in with the arrival of all the noobs

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Yeah, I say ban top 20 members by post count for a month, then unban top 20 members by post count ...
    and their sockies!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Yeah, I say ban top 20 members by post count for a month, then unban top 20 members by post count ...

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    My two pennies worth

<Flame clothes on>

</Flame Clothes off>

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    No, that's Godwins law.

Zipfs law relates (in this case) the frequency with which someone posts to their position in the ranking of most posty posters.
    Ah - got you (I'm not IB material - that Wikipedia made no sense to me at all... ).

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I think Baggy got you on that one, doodab...
    No, that's Godwins law.

Zipfs law relates (in this case) the frequency with which someone posts to their position in the ranking of most posty posters.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X