• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Wierd start to contracting life"

Collapse

• thunderlizard
    replied
    This is really giving contractors a bad name. If you're not doing any work you shouldn't be billing, and if you're not billing you shouldn't be on site. Leave your phone number and tell them to let you know when they need you.

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Originally posted by NoddY View Post
    The trouble with looking busy is it takes more effort than doing the work.

...and thats why they invented Facebook

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    No work is also REALLY boring if you don't have anything to do. Techies can learn a new programming language or something, of course.

But what do you do when the nosy line manager of the team you're attached to asks "what are you doing" and you're using your own laptop to learn Ruby, because you don't even have access to their systems? Looking busy won't fool everyone...

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    As attractive it may sound to some - having nothing to do due to lack of system access or a defined role is not desirable when you start a new contract - it can quicky become stressful and lead to problems.

Whenever I accept a new contract I always email the Agent to ensure that the client will have prepared system access from the first day of my arrival - also a meeting with whomever you are reporting to for a kick-off meeting in which roles tasks expectations deliverables - all gritty work stuff - are discussed and defined - and I expect this to be complete on day one.

Its really in your own intestests to make prior arrangelments - theres always a wee jealous permie out there who would quickly cotton on to the fact you are doing nowt.

And if the cleint for whatever reason doesnt provide you with the tools then they have frustrated the contract - just in case it gets nasty - altough with my technique only on one occasion when the clinet did not deliver -- the entire project was canned two weeks later due to an unsuccesful bid .

Which was a compelling business reason for ending the contract

I didnt argue it was two weeks dosh - easy money -but heed my advice !
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 20 February 2010, 18:39.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Forget free lunch, how about free money and loads of it?
    I should have been smart enough to take on another 3 month gig at the same time

PS I've grudged paying a license fee ever since.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Had a contract with a 'broadcaster', 3 month gig. No desk or work so the first two weeks were spent playing darts and drinking tea in the portacabin used by the cablers during the night.

Then they gave me a pager so the next 10 weeks I spent at home. Got the last timesheet signed and moved on to the the next gig without having done any work at all.
    Forget free lunch, how about free money and loads of it?

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Had a contract with a 'broadcaster', 3 month gig. No desk or work so the first two weeks were spent playing darts and drinking tea in the portacabin used by the cablers during the night.

Then they gave me a pager so the next 10 weeks I spent at home. Got the last timesheet signed and moved on to the the next gig without having done any work at all.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Trust me mate, by then end of the day you are exhausted! It really takes it out of you.

I got some work to do finally on the Afternoon of the posting and was really happy to have something to get on with. I expect next week to be more busy! So for all those guys in this situation, just be patient and it will come!

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    one of my contracts it took 9 weeks to get a logon to the systems :-)
    On one of my contracts we had the computer and full hardware and software manuals, but no OS to kick the thing into life for about 6 weeks.

I occupied myself by writing course notes and keeping the typing pool busy.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    i have been told I was going to fail at various points in my life by more successful, more experienced and more arrogant (actually not sure about that one) people than you only to prove them wrong, so thanks for the encouragement.

Also please use andrex....
    Guys please! If you two are going to have a Northern spat, can you please use plenty of 'eh ups' and 'wy eyes', so we can all have much more of a laugh.

MF in (Down South and not a Northern Monkey) Mode

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    [mummsy mode on] Ahh diddums, now let me get another tissue and wipe that little botty wotty of yours so you are all clean and nice for when daddy comes home [/mummsy mode off]

Seriously. Judging by the posts in the last 2 weeks you are gonna be ****ed in contracting world unless you get a dose of grow up quick.
    i have been told I was going to fail at various points in my life by more successful, more experienced and more arrogant (actually not sure about that one) people than you only to prove them wrong, so thanks for the encouragement.

Also please use andrex....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    3 hours to go till the end of my 2nd week as a contractor and in a wierd situation. Me and colleague (experienced contractor) are yet 2 be given any real work and are starting to get worried. They are slow to get things signed off but now starting to think what the point of us being here is......
    [mummsy mode on] Ahh diddums, now let me get another tissue and wipe that little botty wotty of yours so you are all clean and nice for when daddy comes home [/mummsy mode off]

Seriously. Judging by the posts in the last 2 weeks you are gonna be ****ed in contracting world unless you get a dose of grow up quick.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    When I was a techie, I always made sure new starters had their kit and logons ready for their first day.

The number of times the new starter would say 'wow' because they'd had experiences at previous employers where it took a while for their equipment to be ready would make me smile.

For one, it just wasn't worth the constant hassle you would inevitably get from the new starters line manager asking when the equipment would be ready but, more importantly for me, it's the way I would like to start in a new role.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    My boss is extremely good at managing his contractors, ensuring that we've plenty of productive work, and that we're utilised efficiently for his company.

( I have to say that - he's on this board... ).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X