• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Last day of permiedom as I leave my place of work"

Collapse

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Nah, blow the whole lot. That way you don't feel so stupid when you have to hand it over.
    Thats my new plan A.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Part of that is the sense of freedom: although you may still go to an office for a certain number of hours each working day, you do so because you choose to do so, not because you are ordered to do so. You are there working under a contract that you entered into of your own free will for the sake of carrying on your business, rather than from the craven fear of unemployment that haunts the darkest corners of the permy mind
    Really? I reckon most people enter contracting and employment contracts under their own free will for the same reason - they need the money!

And while a piece of paper may say you are under no obligation to do anything, I doubt most clients would sit there and take it as a contractor just doesn't turn up some days, or refuses to do tasks they're asked to do.

How many contractors really work this way, rather than blustering about it online while actually turning up 9-5.30 each day and doing whatever they ask you to.

The ideals and legalities may be very different, and I'm sure some manage t make it work, but I would claim most contractors don't generally act in a way which would get them in trouble as a permie, for all the CUK bravado. The client is paying for you to do what they want, ultimately

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Even better, blow the whole lot on hookers. Then you won't have to wait 4 years for the divorce.
    Genius! 'Cause 4 years down the line you'll be earning an awful lot more so the courts will give more alimony.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Nah, blow the whole lot. That way you don't feel so stupid when you have to hand it over.
    Even better, blow the whole lot on hookers. Then you won't have to wait 4 years for the divorce.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Crosby View Post
    Put some money aside for the divorce in 4 years time.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Oh and my first day as a contractor was wierd. It definitley feels different to a permie job in many ways and I can see why it aint for everybody....
    Part of that is the sense of freedom: although you may still go to an office for a certain number of hours each working day, you do so because you choose to do so, not because you are ordered to do so. You are there working under a contract that you entered into of your own free will for the sake of carrying on your business, rather than from the craven fear of unemployment that haunts the darkest corners of the permy mind

Another notable aspect of contracting is that you aren't there because they needed an employee: you are there because they needed somebody to do something they couldn't do themselves. You, yes you, are the expert who will Get Things Done

It's similar to being the gunslinger in a Western who rides into town, sorts things out, then tips the brim of his hat and rides quietly out again through the chaparral. "Who was that masked man?" the permies whisper to each other as you ride into the sunset.

"And why did he wear a mask? This is Penketh, FFS."

Well, you get the idea
    Last edited by NickFitz; 11 February 2010, 04:36. Reason: Can't spell "chaparral", apparently :(

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    My perspective is also Northern (and my search is nationwide) - I just don't recognise your upbeat assessment of the market for technical roles.
    Nobody is saying it is amazing but looking around other threads there are a fair few people saying the market is way better than 2nd half of 2008 and that there are many more opportunities around.

Either way good luck with your area.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Put some money aside for the divorce in 4 years time.

Leave a comment:

• BenchMaster
    replied
    I assume you imply that anywhere north of the m25 is a different universe?
    My perspective is also Northern (and my search is nationwide) - I just don't recognise your upbeat assessment of the market for technical roles.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Which alternate universe would this be?
    I assume you imply that anywhere north of the m25 is a different universe? We aint all that different you know.... then again have you seen the walking dead in that universe they call the underground or tube or something like that?

Oh and my first day as a contractor was wierd. It definitley feels different to a permie job in many ways and I can see why it aint for everybody....

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I never thought it would be this difficult to leave. Over 2 years at one place and you start to grow attached to it.

30 mins to go and im off, most likely for good.

Have I made the right choice? I believe so but still have a strange feeling of entering into the unknown, a bit like leaving uni for working life....

(I await the daggers and swords)
    That explains why you were in a crabby mood yesterday.

Welcome to the world of freelancing, we tread our own path, etc, etc...

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I think you're right there

(Good Luck, btw...)
    Yep!

Leave a comment:

• BenchMaster
    replied
    I wouldn't say 99.9%, could be more 50/50. I think its ok for developers but not so good for PMs/BAs etc.

Which alternate universe would this be?

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I agree but it shouldn't stop you feeling like you can move on to better things.
    It shouldn't stop you but it often does eh? I have been contracting at this one place now for a few years now and my personal feelings are now of being de-motivated, de-skilled, threatened by government tactics and trapped by the (somewhat high) rate coupled with responsibilities at home.

I know I shouldn't complain, given that I have some security over the coming months and a good rate to boot - but deep down there is no longer a feeling of excitement and fulfilment.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I never thought it would be this difficult to leave. Over 2 years at one place and you start to grow attached to it.

30 mins to go and im off, most likely for good.

Have I made the right choice? I believe so but still have a strange feeling of entering into the unknown, a bit like leaving uni for working life....

(I await the daggers and swords)
    Not good at all. You should have done a paid sickie for the last week!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X