• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "toys and games for 7 + boys"

Collapse

• Spartacus
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I remember that as a board game, which I found infinitely dull as a kid. If it's now a computer game it could be quite entertaining..
    There was an Amiga version back in the early 90s. It has been ported to the PC though, so download and play on...

http://sites.google.com/site/colditzescape/

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    Escape from Colditz.

Teaches you to plan ahead and manage resources with limited supply. Ideal skills for a future career in IT. Plus you occasionally get to shoot people.
    I remember that as a board game, which I found infinitely dull as a kid. If it's now a computer game it could be quite entertaining..

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Escape from Colditz.

Teaches you to plan ahead and manage resources with limited supply. Ideal skills for a future career in IT. Plus you occasionally get to shoot people.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Depending on how much you want to spend you could buy a radio controlled kit - either an aircraft or a car and build the thing together - teaches a number of skills along with patience.

It'll give you chance to do something together.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Dont let him play 'Rabies' or 'booby trap'

dont let him find the thread 'weird things i did as a kid'

Only as a kid

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Dont let him play 'Rabies' or 'booby trap'

dont let him find the thread 'weird things i did as a kid'

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You can't get proper chemistry sets any more.

It's Elf & Safetea, see.

Meccano set.

Or those chinese ripoffs you see in The Works.
    That's why I'd suggest getting an old one.

When I'd worked my way through all the experiments I got a book, can't remember it's name now, something like 'trade chemical processes'. It was great, how to tan leather, how to make dyes, and then there was a section on explosives, whereupon it was confiscated. It really helped me in my future career.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Chemistry set.

I really enjoyed my Chemistry set when I was a kid, kept me occupied for ages.

But new ones are so tame in comparison.

Maybe find a really old one on e-bay, and renew-replace the chemicals.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by BoltonLad View Post
    any ideas?

NB:First post from 7 years old boy in CUK.. may be the youngest poster here using my id ... edited this after he submitted the thread.
    Bow and arrow kit, if you have a garden and the "elf 'n sayfty" nazis haven't banned them by now.

Good fun, good exercise, and encourages a healthy dose of competitiveness and male agression

(and God knows, they'll probably need both in years to come)

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    My bad, I do apologise I should not have mentioned AK-47, doing so is inexcusable

MP5 PDW on the other hand!

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    I've got a 7-year-old and a 9-year-old (amongst others) and they've both spent the last five or six weeks almost endlessly playing with Lego. We have got a lot of Lego, mind you, seeing as they've had a Lego set of one kind or other given to them pretty much every birthday and Christmas going back years (they have older brothers too).

So, yeah, I would say Lego is the most consistently entertaining kids' toy ever.
    Have to agree with that

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    I've got a 7-year-old and a 9-year-old (amongst others) and they've both spent the last five or six weeks almost endlessly playing with Lego. We have got a lot of Lego, mind you, seeing as they've had a Lego set of one kind or other given to them pretty much every birthday and Christmas going back years (they have older brothers too).

So, yeah, I would say Lego is the most consistently entertaining kids' toy ever.

Leave a comment:

• BoltonLad
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    He knows what an AK-47 is

I had a play with one of those things in the US a few years ago but that's another story...

No... He had never heard of it. So he showed a strange look.

Before he asked for the website details from you...he looked in Amazon and Argos.
    Last edited by BoltonLad; 8 February 2010, 21:18.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    GOOD NIGHT

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Thanks for all the responses. He really enjoyed replying all the msgs on his own.

It made him to feel proud of himself.

He showed a very strange response on his face when he saw AK-47
    He knows what an AK-47 is

I had a play with one of those things in the US a few years ago but that's another story...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X