• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Math's Puzzle : Odds"

Collapse

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Originally posted by Money Money Money View Post
    Surely THIS is the best way of finding out?
    Now that's clever as well ! Good one !

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    The "average joe" thinks in terms of lotteries. So you could say it's close to the chance of winning the lottery every week (Saturdays only!) for two months.
    I like that one, thank you !

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    It's all nonsense. You're either successful, or your not. So that's probability 0.5, 50% etc.
    That's a joke right?

Leave a comment:

• Money Money Money
    replied
    Surely THIS is the best way of finding out?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    It's all nonsense. You're either successful, or your not. So that's probability 0.5, 50% etc.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    The "average joe" thinks in terms of lotteries. So you could say it's close to the chance of winning the lottery every week (Saturdays only!) for two months.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    and how pissed would you be if after opening all those doors and finally finding a suitable room filled with the right number of people and tapping all those shoulders they all said they were john until the very last one?
    I wonder what the odds of that happening are..........................

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    and how pissed would you be if after opening all those doors and finally finding a suitable room filled with the right number of people and tapping all those shoulders they all said they were john until the very last one?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    If you want a laymans example:

You'd have a better chance of walking out into the sahara desert and finding a specific grain of sand simply by picking one a random.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    If most people knew a little bit about probabilty, Camelot would be bancrupt and Noel's box or no box wouldn't be on

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    ....If 300 people were in a masssive room, and only 65 of those people were called "John" :

What would be the odds of me walking in to that room.....
    surely the odds are even greater. don't you have to calculate how many doors there are first?

Leave a comment:

• dude69
    replied
    Thank you Threaded !

I best get Excel fired up and write a formula.

I'll probably do it like this.

65/300 = j1
    64/299 = j2
    63/298 = j3
    drag down

total = j1xj2xj3xetc

Cheers !
    no need for that, just =combin(300,65) for the number of combinations or =1/combin(300,65) for the probability.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Put it this way, the number of atoms in the universe is thought to be between 4x10^79 and 10^81, so 6x10^66 is getting towards that kind of scale.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Can anyone suggest how to put those odds in to perspective for the layperson to understand ?
    For the "average" Layperson.... "It ain't gonna happen"

Hows that?

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Well in Literature terms, it's up there with the chances of an infinite number of monkeys producing the combined works of William Shakespeare.
    Yes, but can you even begin to imagine the smell ?

And the noise, dear God, the noise !!!!

And where the hell do you get a warehouse big enough for this enterprise ?

Plus the crippling costs in bananas, furniture, paper, typing equipment, ink.

I don't think that idea's going to pass Dragon's Den somehow.

And for that reason, I'm out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X