• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New "low energy" bulbs ARE a con"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Britain jumped the gun on this one. The government implemented the new EU regulations early, so we all have to buy these crappy low energy bulbs instead of waiting until LED lights become cheap enough. Which is what the rest of the EU will do. The UK may even end up using more energy as a result of this, not to mention all the mercury which we will dump in landfill.
    Nah, Germany did too. We've been using these energy savers for years and I don't like them either. There was a report on German TV showing how crap they are but Germans being 'eco' conscious, no-one really bothered.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Handy Hint:

Do not use energy savers or fluorescents as a light source if you do any wood or metal turning (Lathe work), the minute strobe effect makes the workpiece in the lathe appear to be stationary, not spinning fast enough to take your arm off.

This was a warning given out in a hobby magazine.

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    I'm always a bit confused about this topic. It's not like there is a shortage of energy hitting the planet or available from wind or tides etc etc or even pulling apart a few atoms.

What seems to be missing is the willpower to harness it.

Which is strange really, because if I want to use lots of electricity and am prepared to pay for it, you'd think that someone would tap that market and produce the electricity somehow.

So what's the real reason that govts are always trying to make us save power? *

*conspiracy theorists, this is your moment to jump into the thread...

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Yeah, I have a few of them. One blew after 5 days use about 3 hours a day last week. It's working out damned expensive this malarkey.
    If you've got the receipt take it back to the shop.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    you don't have to stop missing the "traditional" bulbs, there are Halogen type bulbs now that are dimmable too, use approx 30% less 'leccy.
    Yeah, I have a few of them. One blew after 5 days use about 3 hours a day last week. It's working out damned expensive this malarkey.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    "Don't fix it now, wait until it's really bad!"

Would make a good slogan I admit.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I do not know why we should be placing ourselves on the wheel for this.

Siagon, Bangkok and Peking you can hardly catch a breath for the polution.

When they sort their act out...

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    you don't have to stop missing the "traditional" bulbs, there are Halogen type bulbs now that are dimmable too, use approx 30% less 'leccy.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Yeh but the old bulbs didn't glow for 5 minutes after you turn them off.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Dont get me started on those "environmental" bulbs.
    The 100 watt equivalents are so dim (more like 60 watts), I'm going to start hoarding traditional lightbulbs.

And when the bulb blows, it leaks mercury vapour.
    I would advise anyone to open windows in the house when that happens.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    It is in the BBC news too.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Next they'll be tessling us that Solar Panels aren't efficient in the UK:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8386460.stm

"Cloudy northern countries like the UK could wait further, possibly up to 2030. But the day would come when solar panels on homes would be cost-competitive without a subsidy, even in Britain."

Well at the least the governemnt is listening, this week offering a tax rebate for installation of solar panels

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...s-1836032.html

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Wasn't that just WW2 propaganda to cover up the invention of RADAR ?
    Yup

Those old government propaganda techniques are as old as time, aren't they?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Gosh, the "environmentalists" may have spun us a porkie pie ?

But I thought they had the moral and scientific high ground, and could lecture the rest of us, carte blanche, with justifiable righteousness.

You mean, perhaps they are not as honest as they would like us to believe ?

Oh dear.

I'm very disappointed.

Very disappointed indeed.
    A few years ago I realised that if you pay people not to work, they get quite good at it, pay them to have babies, hey presto chav baby making machines.

Now I realise that if you pay scientists to frighten the bejesus out of us, they will get quite good at it. Pay them even more and they are capable of frightening , lecturing and patronising the bejesus out of us.

ranty rant

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Gosh, the "environmentalists" may have spun us a porkie pie ?

But I thought they had the moral and scientific high ground, and could lecture the rest of us, carte blanche, with justifiable righteousness.

You mean, perhaps they are not as honest as they would like us to believe ?

Oh dear.

I'm very disappointed.

Very disappointed indeed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X