• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Can I throw these out?"

Collapse

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    WHS
    You just never know when there might be a radio telescope you'd want to control.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Right.

I'm keeping mine safe.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Don't! I threw out an expensive Symbian Epoc programming book plus SDK CD last year, who programs for the Psion anymore? Then this year found I could have done with it for programming Nokia phones. If you throw away a book on Forth it will be next year's in thing.
    Right.

I'm keeping mine safe.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Don't! I threw out an expensive Symbian Epoc programming book plus SDK CD last year, who programs for the Psion anymore? Then this year found I could have done with it for programming Nokia phones. If you throw away a book on Forth it will be next year's in thing.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    My monitor stand is made up of Design Patterns, by Gamma, Helm, Johnson and Vlisides, and The Art of Agile Programming by Shore and Warden. Best use I've found for them.
    I've seen that done, although I'd have though a ream of A4 copier paper would me more useful.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    My monitor stand is made up of Design Patterns, by Gamma, Helm, Johnson and Vlisides, and The Art of Agile Programming by Shore and Warden. Best use I've found for them.
    Yup, found that one too. I thought I'd keep that - sort of a classic 'n all. I've got a 1st Ed K&R somewhere.

Also found Meyers, Effective C++; I was planning to hang on to that too, but I'm not sure why.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    eBay.
    WHS.

eBay for a penny, with the buyer must collect option.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I've stacked lots of old books as wall insulation for the dogs kennel / bicycle repair station.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    COM is a useful skill. I use it right now, without any of that ATL stuff.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by jim2406 View Post
    saw a contract a while back (months not years) for someone with a long list of legacy skills to develop on windows 3.1 for about £800 a day.
    If you see it again, please tell me.

I still have use VC6 to build some legacy stuff.

Leave a comment:

• jim2406
    replied
    saw a contract a while back (months not years) for someone with a long list of legacy skills to develop on windows 3.1 for about £800 a day.

i'd hang onto any old books, you never know when youll need them!! :-)

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    eBay.
    Used IT books unfortunately don't sell for much (if at all) on eBay due to the cost of postage.

I managed to sell my ITIL v2 books on eBay for £15 each including postage - but only because they were in immaculate condition and cost £65 each when new. The postage on each of them was £6!
    Last edited by chicane; 2 December 2009, 21:13.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    eBay.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    started a topic Can I throw these out?

Can I throw these out?

Just looking for a book and I found these two.

MSCD Training Kit : Desktop Applications with Visual C++ 6.0 and the VB equiv.

I found Wrox books on ATL COM too.

It's GOT to be more than six or seven years since I've looked at them.

Working...
X