• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do you wear a hat ?"

Collapse

• Hawkeye
    replied
    I have lots of beanie hats, some baker boy hats and some cloche hats.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I wear the best hat in the world. A Tilley hat.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I bought a £1 hat from the Pound shop last year but haven't used it yet this year.

A bit off topic, but about 6 months ago I bought a new bicycle seat from a proper bike shop. Unbelievably, it soaks up the rain like a sponge. WTF. You'd think people that make seats for a living would be able to design a seat that doesn't soak up rain. There's a seam of stitches running along the edge of the seat, where water gets in and now the foam (or whatever padding is inside) is waterlogged. So I get a wet arse even on dry days (the bike is stored outside and I can't be bothered with a bike/seat cover). It will probably be mid-summer before it dries out (if ever) sufficiently that I can waterproof the seam in some way. Preferably I would like to waterproof it without buying expensive waterproofing stuff. I wonder what would work best? Rub a candle along the seam?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I wear a furry hat when it's cold and a kangaroo skin bush hat when spectating at horsey events.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Black wolly hat when it's super cold.

Cap, only on holidays where there's absolutely no shade or I'm reading

Hard hat for work (no pencil but with eye protectors.)

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Bucket hat, prob cos I still want to be in the Stone Roses, milling about a field circa 1989 connecting with people.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    As a northerner I got my first tweed flat cap around the age of 6 and never lost the habit. It folds nicely into a jacket inside pocket for the rare occasions it's not drizzling.
    Panama occasionally in summer.

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Panama in the tropics / foreign climes - Sidney Greenstreet.

Bluf or beanie in the winter - I look like a scally.

and a waxed hat with brim in the rain - country walks, to the pub - like a Barbour ad.

Leave a comment:

• ilovehr
    replied
    Tanned or untanned - Kangaroos stink!!!

And so do Koalas for that matter......this came as a great surprise to me when I was lukcy enough to meet up with a couple at the Zoo in Sydney.

They smell a little like eucalyptus cough sweets mixed with cigar smoke......

Leave a comment:

• Boudica
    replied
    Originally posted by ilovehr View Post

.....but it does stink of Kangaroo....
    tanned kangaroo?

LOL

Leave a comment:

• ilovehr
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    I have a couple of wooly hats for cold weather and a leather bushmans hat for when it's pissing it down / stupidly hot and sunny. Wide brim keeps the rain / sun off nicely, being leather it doesn't leak and the vent holes keep your head cool when it's too hot.
    I approve most emphatically of your choice!

I bought a Kangaroo Leather bushmans hat in Canberra earlier this year. It's waterproof, sunproof, folds up into a lovely linen bag for travel and makes me look a little like Hugh Jackman (in my opinion, not shared by anyone else)....

.....but it does stink of Kangaroo....

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    A black woolly hat during colder weather.

Leave a comment:

• Boudica
    replied
    Woolly hat to protect hair from wind. Man I am seeing wore a hat over on the weekend, was kind of cute, looked like a teacosy.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I have a couple of wooly hats for cold weather and a leather bushmans hat for when it's pissing it down / stupidly hot and sunny. Wide brim keeps the rain / sun off nicely, being leather it doesn't leak and the vent holes keep your head cool when it's too hot.

Leave a comment:

• BlackenedBiker
    replied
    Just bought a tweed flat cap, as in John Wayne in The Quiet Man.

I love it, but I do get ribbed for wearing it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X