• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Crappy websites

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Crappy websites"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Those "authoritative sources" write specs in a language that mere mortals have no chance of understanding.

HTH
    Hint: if you ask somebody to build you a machine, and they can't understand a technical specification intended for mechanical engineers, you've probably asked the wrong person.

Funnily enough, the same principle applies in many fields. For example, a copywriter who complains that dictionaries are "too hard to understand" may well be able to knock out some copy that appears OK, but one would be entitled to have suspicions concerning its fundamental quality.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I've long suspected that the stats for sites which attract "technically savvy" people will have many more FF users than sites which attract Joe Public (where the percentage of IE will be very high).
    this was the only point I was making.

I was referring to the W3 schools site that was linked to and shortened it for the sake of typing.

The point being, a site with techy material, however bad, will have stats skewed more towards FF etc.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    that's the stats for people browsing to the W3 site, which might be a little skewed. Why not find the slashdot stats as well?
    I've long suspected that the stats for sites which attract "technically savvy" people will have many more FF users than sites which attract Joe Public (where the percentage of IE will be very high).

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I can never understand why people turn to a site like that for information - it's not as if it's hard to find the authoritative sources on things like (X)HTML, CSS, XSLT, [/URL]
    Those "authoritative sources" write specs in a language that mere mortals have no chance of understanding.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    that's the stats for people browsing to the W3 site, which might be a little skewed. Why not find the slashdot stats as well?
    w3schools.com is not "the W3 site" - that's at w3.org. w3schools is a commercial site having no connection with the W3C, full of wretchedly bad "tutorials" that mainly demonstrate the worst way of doing anything. Much of their material is either flawed or downright wrong, except when they copy-and-paste from freely available specifications. They should be avoided like the plague.

I can never understand why people turn to a site like that for information - it's not as if it's hard to find the authoritative sources on things like (X)HTML, CSS, XSLT, PHP, mySQL, ASP.NET, etc. etc.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Addanc View Post
    Try these statistics - Firefox 46.6%.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Escalate it then. As high as you can go. They should not be taking the pi55 out of a captive market.
    Been there, done that. Not going to get it fixed overnight though, or at least in time for me to do what I needed to do this week. In the end it's their loss as we havn't placed business with them and I am now looking for ways around the purchasing agreement so I can order from somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Basically there is IE and the others. Differences between the others are pretty small.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    a serious question

we are about to go into some web development and the issue of which browsers to support is coming up.

firstly what are the most common broswers

secondly why don't people who create new browsers make sure they work with existing websites?

I am not overly techy so a few general ideas would be useful

Ta!
    IE
    Firefox
    Safari
    Opera
    Google Chrome (which uses webkit so is very very similar to Safari)

New browsers should be written to render HTML as per W3C's recommendations and all should be fine. The problem is half arsed developers who kludge something non-compliant together, hash it to work with IE and then not bother about all other browsers.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Sadly yes I do. They are one of our corporate suppliers and I dont have a choice about using them.
    Escalate it then. As high as you can go. They should not be taking the pi55 out of a captive market.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Dave, have you got to use this company? By now I'd have gone somewhere else.
    Sadly yes I do. They are one of our corporate suppliers and I dont have a choice about using them.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Dave, have you got to use this company? By now I'd have gone somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Been doing a lot of conversion of DHTML interactives to work in Firefox etc recently. Been keeping some notes of the changes needed which might be of interest to somebody:-

http://www.gatekeeperel.co.uk/temp/firefox%20notes.txt
    Not sure why you were having problems with line-height in FF.

CSS:
    Code:
    #content {
        line-height: 2;
    }
    JavaScript:
    Code:
    document.getElementById("content").style.lineHeight = 2;
    Note that line-height doesn't require units, and if you do supply them, it's best to use "em": if a user increases the font-size (either with Ctrl+ or by setting a minimum font-size in their preferences) then a line-height of, say, 12px would remain that size, resulting in lines overlapping. (This is in accordance with the CSS spec and IE will do the same.)
    Last edited by NickFitz; 16 October 2009, 21:20. Reason: Units...

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Been doing a lot of conversion of DHTML interactives to work in Firefox etc recently. Been keeping some notes of the changes needed which might be of interest to somebody:-

http://www.gatekeeperel.co.uk/temp/firefox%20notes.txt

Leave a comment:

• Addanc
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Here's the recent stats from a website I babysit (and which gets lots of hits):

Perc. Browser Name Version
    46.00% MSIE 8.0
    37.00% MSIE 7.0
    11.00% MSIE 6.0
    4.00% Safari 4.0.3
    2.00% Firefox 3.5.3

In previous looks at the same data, there's been more FF and less Safari.

EDIT: over 90% for Microsoft - depressing, eh?
    Try these statistics - Firefox 46.6%.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X