• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bobs new doings

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bobs new doings"

Collapse

• Pondlife
    replied

Loving the Shawadiwadi shuffle Bob.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Whose sockpuppet is he? I thought it was one of Dim's.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    DO you know this is now beyond a joke but has potential to be a real cult character and moneyspinner. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• Bright Spark
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Bob,

I like your hard sell tactics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrfML3Es4QM

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Bob,

I like your hard sell tactics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrfML3Es4QM

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    Originally posted by BobShawadiwadi View Post
    Please be lookings at my new YouTube Channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/BobShawadiwadi

New adventure story of Bob in England telling soon.
    can you help me with my internet providings?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    You are the future Bob.

If I need any doings you'll be the first to know.

Leave a comment:

• BobShawadiwadi
    replied
    Please be lookings at my new YouTube Channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/BobShawadiwadi

New adventure story of Bob in England telling soon.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I suspect the people that can't see the video can't because of some firewall or content blocking preventing external videos. Though it's possible they just don't have Flash installed, some people must not. However, browsers will detect what you need and install the plugin automatically.

Flash was a vector animation format, that's become a much more powerful system with a proper programming language, and the two don't always fit that well together. Whereas Silverlight seems to have been designed to be the latter from the start, much like a Java applet, which is probably good, but is less good for simple animations. I think it's unfortunate that Flash was mainly known for annoying web ads, and now has found a new lease of life as a video player, neither of which demonstrate 1/10th of what it's capable of.

To answer the question, I think the likes of Google insist on doing things the incredibly slow and painful way with HTML and JavaScript, and then have another twenty rounds with standards committees trying to bolt things onto HTML that they think might be useful.

Have a look at Brakes International's online ordering. It's a whole parts catalogue and ordering system done in Flash, which means the GUI looks good and is fast and respsonive, which makes such a refreshing change after using clunky HTML based GUIs. More of the web should work like this IMO:

http://www.brakesinternational.co.uk/
    I never got into Flash because a) it costs (pots of) money and b) at the time was quite limited in what it could do, and I always wanted to do more sophisticated things. It seems you have to throw money the way of Adobe if you want interactive animated content on the Web now, which is very sad.

Although saying that, I gather you can implement Flash without paying for it, as long as what you want doesn't require any sophistication or programming. My Google Earth example wasn't a good one, as I believe they require you to install a rather hefty plug-in to use it.

Silverlight may be MS and browser incompatible?

We seem to be going backwards in the interactive web animation field.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    So what do commercial sites use when they want more than a gif or video provides, say for interactive or dynamic animation, e.g Google Earth? Do commercial sites assume everyone has a Flash player? We've seen at least two posters on here say they can't see the OP's animation. No doubt many people haven't a Java JVM installed these days either. Yes, you're right, I am behind the times a bit...What about Silverlight?
    I suspect the people that can't see the video can't because of some firewall or content blocking preventing external videos. Though it's possible they just don't have Flash installed, some people must not. However, browsers will detect what you need and install the plugin automatically.

Flash was a vector animation format, that's become a much more powerful system with a proper programming language, and the two don't always fit that well together. Whereas Silverlight seems to have been designed to be the latter from the start, much like a Java applet, which is probably good, but is less good for simple animations. I think it's unfortunate that Flash was mainly known for annoying web ads, and now has found a new lease of life as a video player, neither of which demonstrate 1/10th of what it's capable of.

To answer the question, I think the likes of Google insist on doing things the incredibly slow and painful way with HTML and JavaScript, and then have another twenty rounds with standards committees trying to bolt things onto HTML that they think might be useful.

Have a look at Brakes International's online ordering. It's a whole parts catalogue and ordering system done in Flash, which means the GUI looks good and is fast and respsonive, which makes such a refreshing change after using clunky HTML based GUIs. More of the web should work like this IMO:

http://www.brakesinternational.co.uk/

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Keep it coming

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Does anyone use Microsoft Silverlight for animated content?
    Yes but it hasn't caught on massively.Developers I know who've looked into SL seem to like it, but that's not enough of a reason for people to move away from Flash.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Yes, but what I was referring to was when all the original hype about Java started the common example was the silly penguin animation that showed what it could do. But Java for animation never happened in any significant way, because animated GIFs were simpler, smaller, faster and generally better. Looking at this website now I can see lots of animated GIFs, and some Flash, but not a hint of Java anywhere, and 99.9% of the web is like that and has been for donkeys years.
    So what do commercial sites use when they want more than a gif or video provides, say for interactive or dynamic animation, e.g Google Earth? Do commercial sites assume everyone has a Flash player? We've seen at least two posters on here say they can't see the OP's animation. No doubt many people haven't a Java JVM installed these days either. Yes, you're right, I am behind the times a bit...What about Silverlight?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I was writing Java Applets long after the mid 90s. In fact hadn't even started back then. The Sun / MS bust-up probably dented the popularity of Java applets, perhaps terminally, though decent graphics (e.g. Java2D/3D) was also made a bit unfriendly for users too. Applets do way more than GIF's (and likely Flash for that matter) so GIFS are not really a valid comparison. I don't think Applets are quite dead, but they seem not to be as common as Flash these days.
    Yes, but what I was referring to was when all the original hype about Java started the common example was the silly penguin animation that showed what it could do. But Java for animation never happened in any significant way, because animated GIFs were simpler, smaller, faster and generally better. Looking at this website now I can see lots of animated GIFs, and some Flash, but not a hint of Java anywhere, and 99.9% of the web is like that and has been for donkeys years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X