• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Decent hotel in Edinburgh"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    There is not that many modern hotels in Edinburgh so you will not get many places with pools. The council want to build more major hotels but they get threatened with the removal of the world heritage site status.

You should really try and get something in the new town and sample the town if it is for a few weeks or if you want a pool get something on the south side near to the comonweatlh pool, Edinburgh really is a very small place.

Leave a comment:

• SteveCo
    replied
    Stayed there a few years ago when relocating. Great service as your fridge gets re-stocked daily with bread, milk, yoghurt, butter, orange juice etc. and secure underground parking so you get the freedom of your own space but it is not like being in rental where you need to do everything yourself so a good option. Couple of bars and restaurants nearby and a cinema/gym as well. Was a bit noisy sometimes at weekends when the stag/hen parties were in town though which was not so good but overall I'd recommend it if the prices are reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Looking on Google Maps, did they build those apartments in the middle of a wasteland? Looks really weird...
    It's true -

If you'd rather a period apartment and something that's going to leave an impression of what it's all about don't stay in a new-build, they've got it all wrong.

Look in the West end or New Town.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Fountain Court does indeed look pretty nice, though they have different blocks varying from 5* (on the waterfront) to 3*. Bizarrely, the 5* ones are coming up cheapest on Expedia for a 2-week booking.

Does anyone know what kind of discount you'd typically try to get if you're likely to be there a couple of months (but can't guarantee it)? Expedia has rates about 35% off their listed tariff and while I prefer to go direct, many hotels aren't able to match online offers on a short stay.

Looking on Google Maps, did they build those apartments in the middle of a wasteland? Looks really weird...
    Last edited by d000hg; 16 September 2009, 09:59.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Ltd ability View Post
    How about

http://www.fountaincourtapartments.com/

5 mins from Haymarket train station and 5 mins from Lothian Rd/West end?

I'm always commenting to the Mrs how smart they look on our Sunday walk along the union cannel... plus there's a few pubs and restaurants with in a stones through and a city golf course (I've no idea)

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Noisy as in traffic, or people having screaming drunken fights and knife fights under the window?
    Both

Leave a comment:

• Ltd ability
    replied
    How about

http://www.fountaincourtapartments.com/

5 mins from Haymarket train station and 5 mins from Lothian Rd/West end?

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Anyone worked there? Looking for:

- Very close reach of the main station, like a 5min walk
    - Pool
    - Not a cess-pit, but not luxury... clean & quiet, decent breakfast, etc
    - Not (too) extortionate... I won't be paying but don't want to take the pee
    There's a Travelodge near the station. Not exactly luxuary, but does the job.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Noisy as in traffic, or people having screaming drunken fights and knife fights under the window?

Anyhow, I hadn't realised there were many managed apartments in the city centre, I'll investigate further. RGA had some discount on using the Scotsman's gym for instance, which is a good thing to find.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Sheraton doesn't look bad, I also came across some managed apartments - Royal Garden Apartments - which look quite cool. No pool but perhaps an actual apartment makes up for that.
    The RGA are right on queen street, one of the main roads through town at the moment with princess street closed off cause of the tram works, you'll never get any sleep unless your a log in bed.

There are loads to choose from in town right enough might be more comfortable than a hotel every night. Prb the best option for a short gig actually. Might be worth a look on trip advisor or visitscotland

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Sheraton doesn't look bad, I also came across some managed apartments - Royal Garden Apartments - which look quite cool. No pool but perhaps an actual apartment makes up for that.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Had a couple of massages last month, nothing like a young female's oily hands , cough, nothing beats loosing up the muscles - not bad for £80 a go...

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Ah Edinburgh! Used to have great massage parlours. For the aching back I mean of course.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    OK, if it were me I stay at the Sheraton, it's more than a five minute walk from Waverley but you'll have access to one of the best spas in town - of which I'm a member and i can tell you its great place to chill out. I think it's the only pool in town that has views of the castle. Float on your back until 10pm gazing at the castle all lit up.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Scotsman does look very nice, but as you say, expensive. I feel I should be able to get a decent room for £100/night or less especially if I am likely to be there a few weeks (short-term contract, expenses paid).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X