• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decent hotel in Edinburgh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noisy as in traffic, or people having screaming drunken fights and knife fights under the window?

Anyhow, I hadn't realised there were many managed apartments in the city centre, I'll investigate further. RGA had some discount on using the Scotsman's gym for instance, which is a good thing to find.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Anyone worked there? Looking for:

- Very close reach of the main station, like a 5min walk
      - Pool
      - Not a cess-pit, but not luxury... clean & quiet, decent breakfast, etc
      - Not (too) extortionate... I won't be paying but don't want to take the pee
      There's a Travelodge near the station. Not exactly luxuary, but does the job.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

How about

http://www.fountaincourtapartments.com/

5 mins from Haymarket train station and 5 mins from Lothian Rd/West end?

Comment

Noisy as in traffic, or people having screaming drunken fights and knife fights under the window?
          Both
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Ltd ability View Post
            How about

http://www.fountaincourtapartments.com/

5 mins from Haymarket train station and 5 mins from Lothian Rd/West end?

I'm always commenting to the Mrs how smart they look on our Sunday walk along the union cannel... plus there's a few pubs and restaurants with in a stones through and a city golf course (I've no idea)
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Fountain Court does indeed look pretty nice, though they have different blocks varying from 5* (on the waterfront) to 3*. Bizarrely, the 5* ones are coming up cheapest on Expedia for a 2-week booking.

Does anyone know what kind of discount you'd typically try to get if you're likely to be there a couple of months (but can't guarantee it)? Expedia has rates about 35% off their listed tariff and while I prefer to go direct, many hotels aren't able to match online offers on a short stay.

Looking on Google Maps, did they build those apartments in the middle of a wasteland? Looks really weird...
              Last edited by d000hg; 16 September 2009, 09:59.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Looking on Google Maps, did they build those apartments in the middle of a wasteland? Looks really weird...
                It's true -

If you'd rather a period apartment and something that's going to leave an impression of what it's all about don't stay in a new-build, they've got it all wrong.

Look in the West end or New Town.

Comment

Stayed there a few years ago when relocating. Great service as your fridge gets re-stocked daily with bread, milk, yoghurt, butter, orange juice etc. and secure underground parking so you get the freedom of your own space but it is not like being in rental where you need to do everything yourself so a good option. Couple of bars and restaurants nearby and a cinema/gym as well. Was a bit noisy sometimes at weekends when the stag/hen parties were in town though which was not so good but overall I'd recommend it if the prices are reasonable.

Comment

There is not that many modern hotels in Edinburgh so you will not get many places with pools. The council want to build more major hotels but they get threatened with the removal of the world heritage site status.

You should really try and get something in the new town and sample the town if it is for a few weeks or if you want a pool get something on the south side near to the comonweatlh pool, Edinburgh really is a very small place.

Comment

Working...
                    X