• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone had good experience"

Collapse

• Joe Bloque
    replied
    Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
    When working for an Indian manager, the last thing I want this post to be is racist attack, the reason I am asking is because I have an opportunity to work for a good company, only the manager is Indian, you see, I worked for a few Indian bosses in the past, but never had a good experience, they micro-manage, never say please or thank you, expect you to work like a slave, but always take the credit for my work, promote their own people even if they are complete imbecile - its like a code of honor for them to stick together.

So if anyone here had good experience working for an Indian manager (Manager no managee, there is a great difference in their behaviour when they are working for you) please do post and tell me am being silly and bloody minded!!
    So you had a bad expereince working with Chetty then?

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    Originally posted by Liability View Post

Generally you will find that British Indians will not have anything good to say about Indian Indians in IT.
    Not strictly true.

From the OP's description, you could consider these managers to be like many non-Indian managers that work in IB's in that they will make you work your bollocks off. Its nothing to do with them being from India.

Bear in mind that Indians can be quite direct in their language. Indian languages tend to be less circumlocutive so when the speaker translates their thoughts to English, they can seem quite abrupt.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    When working for an Indian manager, the last thing I want this post to be is racist attack, the reason I am asking is because I have an opportunity to work for a good company, only the manager is Indian, you see, I worked for a few Indian bosses in the past, but never had a good experience, they micro-manage, never say please or thank you, expect you to work like a slave, but always take the credit for my work, promote their own people even if they are complete imbecile - its like a code of honor for them to stick together.

So if anyone here had good experience working for an Indian manager (Manager no managee, there is a great difference in their behaviour when they are working for you) please do post and tell me am being silly and bloody minded!!

Are you referring to British Indians or Indian Indians? A very big difference.

Generally you will find that British Indians will not have anything good to say about Indian Indians in IT.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sal626 View Post
    Saying that, they did seem to get their subordinates to work hard/long hours.
    I think that's just the culture over there, they still have a work ethic as a nation.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    I'm working for an injun boss he is an excellent manager

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    My first IT job was working for an Indian technical lead. Very pleasant and clever guy - a million miles away from the Bob Shawadiwaddi stereotypes. On the other side of the coin though I worked in a bank in Dubai with a large Indian workforce & really had to watch my back - always somebody trying to stitch you up.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Bring a nice shiny chutney spoon, and all will be well

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    When working for a Permie manager, the last thing I want this post to be is HR attack, the reason I am asking is because I have an opportunity to work for a good company, only the manager is a permie, you see, I worked for a few permie bosses in the past, but never had a good experience, they micro-manage, never say please or thank you, expect you to work like a slave, but always take the credit for my work, promote their own people even if they are complete imbecile - its like a code of honor for them to stick together.

So if anyone here had good experience working for an permie manager (Manager no managee, there is a great difference in their behaviour when they are working for you) please do post and tell me am being silly and bloody minded!!
    Fixed some typos and would now wholeheartedly agree.

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    you are being silly and bloody minded

Leave a comment:

• sal626
    replied
    Worked with, not for, two indian managers (i.e. from india). I found them “switched on” and helpful, maybe because they were from outsourcing companies and keen to deliver – I was representing clientco. Saying that, they did seem to get their subordinates to work hard/long hours.

It also depends if the indian manager has been working in the UK for a while…..if so, he might have got used to the way things are over here….if not, then view it an as opportunity to share ideas and ways of working.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Taking this at face value, as based on your previous posts, I don't believe this to be a 'racist' post I'm assuming you are referring to an Indian manager from India NOT a British Indian.
    Clippy raises a good point (ooh-er missus!)

If this guy is British Asian (where "Asian" means "somebody whose line of descent leads back to the Indian subcontinent" and "British" means "British") then he sounds like just another w4nker manager whose racial heritage may have influenced his form of w4nkerdom but isn't what makes him a w4nker.

If he actually is from the Indian subcontinent then you may have to deal with the fact that he has different expectations of how things are done than are the norm here. How you deal with such differing expectations is the question: knuckle under (tiresome), correct him (bound to lead to confrontation), something clever (let us all know what it is).

Whenever you find yourself in a dilemma, it's worth remembering where the word comes from: it's the Classical Greek for "two horns", as in having a bull charging at you and you having to decide which horn you will be impaled upon. The smart ape susses out a way of leaping between the horns, and doesn't get impaled at all

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied

Taking this at face value, as based on your previous posts, I don't believe this to be a 'racist' post I'm assuming you are referring to an Indian manager from India NOT a British Indian.

If so, I can appreciate where you are coming from as we all know there is a cultural difference when dealing with our friends on the sub-continent.

Tough one but if the gig is a good one why not give it a try.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied

Sorry but if you resort to stereotypical descriptions in conjuction with the word "they" it is going to sound racist.

Back to your point there can be a cultural difference, this will be down to the individual and also whether they grew up in the UK or are a more recent import.

Mrs Gonzo used to work for an American bank in London who have been keen in recent years to move much operations work to India (they tried Eastern Europe but that didn't work out) and so there were often managers brought in from India, her experiences were as you described.

But note, it was commonly heard from the London born staff of Indian origin when such a new manager appeared "Not another f'kin Indian!".

So I think your answer will lie in the cultural background.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Slumdog View Post
    ...and what! I wonder what 'indian' people or others think working for their managers who are not the same as they are. Join the BNP(or your equivalent) pal and work for them. Problem solved.
    Isn't that a bit reactionary? There's been plenty of issues reported on here about working with Indian developers, more often those located in India. And other nationalities come to that. This has generally been seen as a cultural issue, not a racial one. Why do you assume this one is racist?

Leave a comment:

• Slumdog
    replied

...and what! I wonder what 'indian' people or others think working for their managers who are not the same as they are. Join the BNP(or your equivalent) pal and work for them. Problem solved.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X