• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Flipwit meeting requests"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Meetings outside working hours don't go and when questioned say "surely that was a typo, why would there be a meeting outside working hours when nobody is here?"
    Or say you will have to get the extra hours authorised in advance for your timesheet.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    They have 'Town Hall Meetings' round 'ere.
    I never get the invites - which is fortunate, as a refusal oftens offends
    they have "morning prayer meetings" here

No one at my current contract seems to understand the concept of lunch, it's quite common to get meetings stuck in yer lunch hour.

Another fun item is meetings that start well before office hours and ones that get slotted in just so they overrun on a Friday arvo

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    They have 'Town Hall Meetings' round 'ere.
    I never get the invites - which is fortunate, as a refusal oftens offends

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    I've been invited to a "Brown Bag Lunch" meeting.

What the flip is one of those??

Anyone got any other silly ones to share.
    This isnt an investment management house in the Moorgate area by any chance is it?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Ah lunch and learn another assault on your work life balance.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Why is the Yanks get their shopping in brown bags anyway?

Surely a missed marketing opportunity there.
    Indeed.

They should be called 'flimsy plastic Tesco carrier bag lunches' in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• MonzaMike
    replied
    The worst ones are those where some permie has to share info on some inane aspect of their work to the rest of the team as part of their "objectives", which they need to meet to get their bonus.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If the techy people are running the sessions, it can be quite interesting to other genuine techies - the kind who do programming for fun (like me).

If anyone else is running it, yawn.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Why is the Yanks get their shopping in brown bags anyway?

Surely a missed marketing opportunity there.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
    I think the Brown Bag referred to is in order to barf into when you've had enough of sniffing bullsh*t ......
    Better to take one of these.

Leave a comment:

• Dearnla
    replied
    I think the Brown Bag referred to is in order to barf into when you've had enough of sniffing bullsh*t ......

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    As a contractor, you should spurn the invitation.

Things like 'brown bag meetings' or worse 'town hall meetings' are for permie slaves working in American (or at least Americanized) cube farms.
    WHS At one clientco I proudly held a 100% absenteeism record at their 'meetings in a box'. Somehow there was always a more pressing issue for me to deal with, like 'lunch', or 'pub'.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    Originally posted by TroubleAtMill View Post
    It's for some on-the-bench (i.e. not billing) permie to show off something they've spent the last six days...weeks...months researching.

Yup, that's indeed what it was.

Complete waste of time, and nothing more than a permie love-in and ar*e greasing exercise.

Now I'm off out to have a proper contractorr's lunch!

Leave a comment:

• TroubleAtMill
    replied
    It's for some on-the-bench (i.e. not billing) permie to show off something they've spent the last six days...weeks...months researching. Usually on technologies that their employer will never ever use. Presentation usually done at lunch time where you would bring your lunch in a 'brown bag' - another stoopid Americanism.

If the number of brown bag sessions is quite high, it's time to check for brown trousers.

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    when kids peed themselves at our school they had to carry their pants home in a brown bag, running the gauntlet. Could it be something to do with that?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X