• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is it game over for UK?"

Collapse

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    My gut feeling is that it the way we are heading, however I'm forced to disagree with my gut feeling after years of hearing my Grandad's and father's generation saying how the country is going down the pan, not what it used to be etc,. I think its jsut part of growing older
    I agree.

It is perfectly normal for the older gits to start bemoaning how the the country is declining - I have heard it from parents and grandparents in the past. It is just a sign that it is time for you to hand responsibility for the future over to the next generation.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    I thought this might be interesting until he started spewing tulipe outta religious texts!
    I know, I remember frowning on reading those parts when I first came across the article, still makes for an interesting read though.

Originally posted by George
    I keep reading about how good it is that we have a 'healthy' growth in population. The argument being that more young people are needed to pay taxes to support the ageing population. These young will eventually grow old and need even more young to support them. A Ponzi scheme for sure. In reality there isn't enough real productive (i.e. private sector) work to go around so many of these people will either work for the state in some way or will be claiming benefits, adding to an already creaking system.
    Yep, but even before the long term effects, quality of life is a real issue. I get around alot and in some parts of the country I feel the overpopulation has had a very negative impact already (some real overcrowded shi*holes around)

Leave a comment:

• mace
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    My gut feeling is that it the way we are heading, however I'm forced to disagree with my gut feeling after years of hearing my Grandad's and father's generation saying how the country is going down the pan, not what it used to be etc,. I think its jsut part of growing older
    As it's all relative, the UK's share of the world's wealth peaked in 1870 and has been going downhill ever since. You should listen to your elders, sonny.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I thought this might be interesting until he started spewing sh1te outta religious texts!

Leave a comment:

• TinTrump
    replied
    Read "The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers" by Paul Kennedy.

I now live on a small island, beginning with B, with declining oil reserves, precious little manufacturing, high unemployment in the indigenous population and reliance upon immigrants as low paid workers. Er...

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Well this is what I've been saying for ages. Thing is it takes a long time to decline into 3rd world standards.
    If you are using Rome as an example - well they haven't done too badly have they - they turned into Italy.
    So in 1500 years (give or take) we'll have a sexist idiot of a prime minister?

I can't wait.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Doesn't decadence and decline mean sinking into a morass of mindless sex orgies. How come I am not getting my share? We should be throw lefties into arenas with lions too.
    Only the ugly ones.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by badgerpig View Post
    is that a RED hamster?
    Nope - its a very well read GUINEA PIG

Leave a comment:

• George Parr
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    Until that bubble bursts........
    Long term population growth/over population is one of my fears. It helps the economy but will one day end in tears
    I keep reading about how good it is that we have a 'healthy' growth in population. The argument being that more young people are needed to pay taxes to support the ageing population. These young will eventually grow old and need even more young to support them. A Ponzi scheme for sure. In reality there isn't enough real productive (i.e. private sector) work to go around so many of these people will either work for the state in some way or will be claiming benefits, adding to an already creaking system.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    We can be world class in over-population. I think we are already the most densely populated country in Europe and may soon have the highest population too

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Well this is what I've been saying for ages. Thing is it takes a long time to decline into 3rd world standards.
    If you are using Rome as an example - well they haven't done too badly have they - they turned into Italy.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I look at all the fine minds that post on this board

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    We will be fine as long as the population keeps growing at 1/2 million people a year
    Until that bubble bursts........
    Long term population growth/over population is one of my fears. It helps the economy but will one day end in tears

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Doesn't decadence and decline mean sinking into a morass of mindless sex orgies. How come I am not getting my share? We should be throw lefties into arenas with lions too.

Leave a comment:

• badgerpig
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    dont mean to be a pessimist but is it time to stop reading the Daily Mail?
    is that a RED hamster?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X