• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Strange people, these business analysts"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Scary View Post
    Such a bad pun, and from a modal poster.
    Ah, you're just skewed. Is your Kurtosis playing up?

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What a median comment.

IGMC, as they say
    Such a bad pun, and from a modal poster.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Well, on average ....
    What a median comment.

IGMC, as they say

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    even if you can't help being average.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Well, on average ....
    dont be mean

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Geometric mean, or him being dumb. Which is most likely?
    Well, on average ....

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    There is more than 1 Std dev and as pointed out a Geometric mean so maybe he wasn't being dumb
    Geometric mean, or him being dumb. Which is most likely?

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    I was talking to the Finnish project manager. She says that at school, she learned 3 different ways of rounding - truncation, up (or down), and .5 goes up and less than .5 goes down.

Apparently, in the US branch, they've 24 different rounding rules...
    VB by default uses bankers rounding, which is annoying and catches a few people out (don't know if this has changed for VB.net).

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Currently developing a few report for a laboratory system. One of the reports requires the mean and std. dev. of a set of a results.

Just been asked by the business analyst who specified the report - "What formula are you using for calculating the mean and std. dev.".
    There is more than 1 Std dev and as pointed out a Geometric mean so maybe he wasn't being dumb

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I was talking to the Finnish project manager. She says that at school, she learned 3 different ways of rounding - truncation, up (or down), and .5 goes up and less than .5 goes down.

Apparently, in the US branch, they've 24 different rounding rules...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    But has he ever done stats without a computer? Or without a calculator for that matter?

Many years' experience with the Yanks tells me you have to spell things out for them.

Yes, during me masters in operational research...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Scary View Post
    Maybe geometric or arithmetic mean?

ETA: although I'm sure he could work it out by looking at the numbers
    But has he ever done stats without a computer? Or without a calculator for that matter?

Many years' experience with the Yanks tells me you have to spell things out for them.

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    Currently developing a few report for a laboratory system. One of the reports requires the mean and std. dev. of a set of a results.

Just been asked by the business analyst who specified the report - "What formula are you using for calculating the mean and std. dev.".
    Maybe geometric or arithmetic mean?

ETA: although I'm sure he could work it out by looking at the numbers

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Said B.A. is from the subcontinent and has been resident in the US for over ten years.
    Is there any difference?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Said B.A. is from the subcontinent and has been resident in the US for over ten years. I don't think he knows what sarcasm is.

I've got him trained to the point where he doesn't just say - "the results are wrong", but rather tells me what results he expects and what he got.

Now I've just got to get him to explain why he expects the results he has.

Ah well - the downside of taking junior work. Still getting ++senior rate though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X