• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Microsoft in web photo racism row"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    You're right. The original black guy's head looks just as Photoshopped. Maybe it was originally a white guy and they put a black guy in to up the ethnic quota then lost the original.

Perhaps there should be automatic software to do this sort of thing, how hard can it be? I would keep clicking the big tits filter personally.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I think it's more to do with the fact that the guy was ugly than black.
    Can't be anything to do with his head apparently not being attached to his shoulders straight, because the replacement guy seems to suffer from the same affliction.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I think it's more to do with the fact that the guy was ugly than black.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    It isn't anything to do with dislike of black people d000hg, it is just about having an advert we relate to. Adverts are also oriented to the target social class, age etc. You wouldn't aim Rap CD adverts at pensioners.

It is a perfectly natural human thing to empathise/be with people like yourself, everybody does it, it's why migrants always go to where their compatriots are. It is nothing to do with disliking others.

Of course if it's whites doing what everyone does it must be racist.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    G Parr wrote : Why? If I was marketing in China I would feature Chinese models, Black models for Botswana, etc., They are just trying to click with the locals.
    Makes sense from a target market perspective.

You sell/appeal to the largest target group.

People "see and imagine themselves" when a model of their race / culture / creed is wearing clothing, for example.

They don't imagine a different species, race, colour or whatever wearing the clothes.

I think it's a non-story, that is being used by some to play the race card again, or just have a pop at MS, or both. These people wouldn't see reason anyway, being the brood of Cyberman.

Leave a comment:

• George Parr
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Editing a photo to remove the black guy is like saying "we're happy to endorse your dislike for black people".
    Why? If I was marketing in China I would feature Chinese models, Black models for Botswana, etc., They are just trying to click with the locals.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    We had similar a few years back with Ford(?). People want ads that are relevant to their own nation/culture. Ugandans would not expect an ad with white people either. Beats me why people are so stupidly sensitive.
    I wouldn't hold Ford up as an example of good practise as the photo was being used in France. France use to have colonies and if you go there you do see non-White people. In fact L'Oreal in France has recently lost a court case over how they recruited people to sell their products as they wouldn't recruit anyone who wasn't White.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    We had similar a few years back with Ford(?). People want ads that are relevant to their own nation/culture. Ugandans would not expect an ad with white people either. Beats me why people are so stupidly sensitive.
    I don't think this is being overly sensitive. Editing a photo to remove the black guy is like saying "we're happy to endorse your dislike for black people".

I normally dislike the whole PC thing, but this seems to be a case where it's deserved.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Why don't we see adverts for skin creme with the women all dressed in burkhas?
    Faceist!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Come to that, I'd say that a photo full of what are obviously Yanks (spot the shiny suits and grins) isn't really suitable for a British audience.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Why don't we see adverts for skin creme with the women all dressed in burkhas?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
    Woops

*blames fact not had coffee yet*
    Whoops

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Amateur!
    Woops

*blames fact not had coffee yet*

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
    None issue, MS tailored it to the market and Poland does not exactly have a large amount of black people

And am I the only one looks at those images and thinks the US version is the doctored one? US one guys head looks like it was put in by an armature using Photoshop
    Amateur!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X