• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Fish & Chips

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fish & Chips"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Do they use some kind of magic heat/potatoes/oil up north to get chips cooked better than down south?
    As said, it's in the beef dripping, but also traditional english Fish & Chip shops are dieing out in the south. A chinese or kebab shop never do good F&C.

Mmmmm fish chips, mushy peas and curry sauce!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Up north they still use beef dripping to cook them most of the time, down south it's usually vegatable oil.

The best roast spuds are cooked in beef fat as well.
    The best are cooked in goose grease, mais n'enculons pas des mouches.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Do they use some kind of magic heat/potatoes/oil up north to get chips cooked better than down south?
    Up north they still use beef dripping to cook them most of the time, down south it's usually vegatable oil.

The best roast spuds are cooked in beef fat as well.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Well with the examples I quoted its probably due to the unique texture of AyrShire Potatoes.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    25% off their lunches at the moment if you give them a (fictional, in my case) email address to go on their mailing list.

Was there yesterday. Lovely stuff.
    Top tip, would love to go now, but I am still on a call

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by orac View Post
    The only decent ones are up north and Scotland.
    The best two in Scotland are located in

1 Troon
    2 Barassie

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Not far from me, really want some now.
    25% off their lunches at the moment if you give them a (fictional, in my case) email address to go on their mailing list.

Was there yesterday. Lovely stuff.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Not so - although I thought this for a while.
    The Punch Tavern on Fleet Street do a very nice beer-battered haddock & chips, best I've tasted in Central London.
    Not far from me, really want some now.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Not so - although I thought this for a while.
    The Punch Tavern on Fleet Street do a very nice beer-battered haddock & chips, best I've tasted in Central London, and better than all but one Chish'n'Fip places I've tried up North.

Leave a comment:

• orac
    replied
    No decent chippies in the south

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Remember Indians etc. wipe their whatsitsnames with their left hand. If they only use their right hand you are OK.
    just beware of the extra long lefthanded fingernail

used to scrape any leftover bits out

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    The woman told me it was a saveloy.
    ladyboy

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Italian

You mean in the south they try to make fish'n'chips with a cod piece?
    The woman told me it was a saveloy.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I love fish and chips, you don't get many good ones in the south (most are not traditional English anymore) and rarely get Haddock
    Italian

You mean in the south they try to make fish'n'chips with a cod piece?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X