• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "It's beginning to thunder - do I pull the plug?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Hmm... Mr C is an expert in probabilistic stress analysis in serious engineering thingies...

I might stick with his assessment.

Stats is fine until you're the 1 in a million...

See you in 1/2 an hour....
    It's very simple Something either happens or it doesn't. So the chances are ALWAYS 50:50.

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    ....I really used to enjoy all the abuse I'd get when telling customers how if the engineer found a big black hole in the middle of their modem PCI card it wasn't covered under warranty and they'd be paying for his time and a new part
    Ah - it was you, you bastard. I'll track you down and gut yer.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Awesome! Is there any way we can harness this to provide free energy for the planet?
    Or if you can get the Delorien up to 88mph . . .

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Awesome! Is there any way we can harness this to provide free energy for the planet?
    Haven't you seen Back to the Future?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    I keep an old PCB in my study from a PC of mine that was about 200 yards away from a lightning strike. Where the chip should be is a small black hole... It also blew my Belkin surge protector (and they paid up immediately, bless 'em).

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Me Mam (and now Mr C) always used to insist that we turn off the telly and pull out the aerial cable during a storm.

Should I do the same with the PC?
    Yes. And take out all of your lightbulbs.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Are you referring to the PC at YourLtdCo's registered address? If so, you have identified a potential Health & Safety risk. You must, therefore, conduct a risk assessment to determine what action to take.

The relevant British Standards are:

BS EN 62305-1 (2006) 'Protection against lightning - Part 1: General principles', BSI.
    BS EN 62305-2 (2006) 'Protection against lightning - Part 2: Risk management', BSI.
    BS EN 62305-3 (2006) 'Protection against lightning - Part 3: Physical damage to structures and life hazard', BSI.
    BS EN 62305-4 (2006) 'Protection against lightning - Part 4: Electrical and electronic systems within structures', BSI.

and suitable references are:
    Michael Henshaw (2007) 'Protection Against Lightning - A UK guide to the practical application of BS EN 62305', BSI (ref. BIP 2118)
    and
    Furse, 'A Guide to BS EN 62305:2006 - Protection Against Lightning', Thomas & Betts.

Please do let us know your findings.
    Not at all bad

But you missed reference to the Electricity at Work Act and the 17th Edition....

However I'm chuffed to bits.

My work here is nearly done

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Back in the days when everyone was accessing the internet through dial-up, I was a phone monkey for PC World tech support. You'd be amazed at the call volumes for cooked modems after a nationwide outbreak of thunder and lightning.

I really used to enjoy all the abuse I'd get when telling customers how if the engineer found a big black hole in the middle of their modem PCI card it wasn't covered under warranty and they'd be paying for his time and a new part

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Are you referring to the PC at YourLtdCo's registered address? If so, you have identified a potential Health & Safety risk. You must, therefore, conduct a risk assessment to determine what action to take.

The relevant British Standards are:

BS EN 62305-1 (2006) 'Protection against lightning - Part 1: General principles', BSI.
    BS EN 62305-2 (2006) 'Protection against lightning - Part 2: Risk management', BSI.
    BS EN 62305-3 (2006) 'Protection against lightning - Part 3: Physical damage to structures and life hazard', BSI.
    BS EN 62305-4 (2006) 'Protection against lightning - Part 4: Electrical and electronic systems within structures', BSI.

and suitable references are:
    Michael Henshaw (2007) 'Protection Against Lightning - A UK guide to the practical application of BS EN 62305', BSI (ref. BIP 2118)
    and
    Furse, 'A Guide to BS EN 62305:2006 - Protection Against Lightning', Thomas & Betts.

Please do let us know your findings.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...ki-Mexico.html

Just don't use your jetski.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Me Mam (and now Mr C) always used to insist that we turn off the telly and pull out the aerial cable during a storm.

Should I do the same with the PC?

Put a biscuit tin on yer head.
    It wont protect you from a strike, but statistically, no Briton wearing a biscuit tin, has ever been struck by lightning

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    I keep an old PCB in my study from a PC of mine that was about 200 yards away from a lightning strike. Where the chip should be is a small black hole... It also blew my Belkin surge protector (and they paid up immediately, bless 'em).

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I would wager most people don't disconnect their tellies when there's a storm.
    What are the data like for people who got hurt or killed by lightning strike through their tellies or PCs

I think you'll find your answer there.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Luckily for the rest of us Sg is 1 in a million
    He's certainly "special".

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Hmm... Mr C is an expert in probabilistic stress analysis in serious engineering thingies...

Luckily for the rest of us Sg is 1 in a million

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X