• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Google

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Google"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    It was a standing instruction at one place that cars were not to be reverse parked in case the soot from the exhaust marred the building...
    A standing instruction in my local car parks, for the same reason. I do wonder how many accidents are caused by reversing out into the path of oncoming cars.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    standard practice in refineries to reverse in, its mandatory. So they can get everyone out quickly

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by EddieNambulous View Post
    Sounds like the old story (perhaps urban legend) of the candidate who didn't get the job because he reversed into the visitor parking space in the office car park - implied to the watching boss that he would have his mind on leaving quickly at the end of the day.
    Not just trying to sound paradoxical here for comic effect, but I'd be genuinely pleased if I found out an interviewer had rejected me for such a spurious and absurdly quixotic reason.

That's because I'd know it was a narrow escape from working with/for a judgemental, irrational, vindictive, and most likely utterly incompetent, twat.

What's more, I think even the conclusion they drew from reverse parking in that example is wrong - If anything, someone who reverse parks shows superior planning skills and a more methodical approach, and even more consideration for others as it is safer not to reverse out of a parking space.

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    It's a standing instruction here that all cars are to be reverse parked in the company car park. No idea why.
    The Institute of Advanced Motoring reckon that it's much safer to reverse into a bay and pull out forward. Statistically it can be shown to have a lower accident rate.

Probably becouse statistically, most people would drive round the block rather than reverse into a space, hence statistically nobody does it.

We have the same policy here.

All I can say is that I'm glad I bought nothing more expensive than an Astra

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    It's a standing instruction here that all cars are to be reverse parked in the company car park. No idea why.
    Maybe they don't like employing women?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I worked with someone who said they had attended been called to interview with Google.

They were shown to a waiting room. In there was a big table of that Lego with batteries and motors. There was a bunch of other such 'toys'.

He sat there quietly for 20 minutes waiting to be called. The someone came in and said "Thank you, you can go, you failed."

You are supposed to "show curiosity" by playing with the toys, apparently.
    I've got a Lego robot set

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Sounds like the old story (perhaps urban legend) of the candidate who didn't get the job because he reversed into the visitor parking space in the office car park - implied to the watching boss that he would have his mind on leaving quickly at the end of the day.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I should hope it's urban legend. He might have been a former policeman, which is not normally an instant fail.

Leave a comment:

• EddieNambulous
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I knew someone ( Professor of Computer Science ) who passed away recently who would offer everyone he interviewed a cigarette when they entered the room. Said yes and they instantly failed. That must have been about 50% of people in the 60s.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I worked with someone who said they had attended been called to interview with Google.

They were shown to a waiting room. In there was a big table of that Lego with batteries and motors. There was a bunch of other such 'toys'.

He sat there quietly for 20 minutes waiting to be called. The someone came in and said "Thank you, you can go, you failed."

I knew someone ( Professor of Computer Science ) who passed away recently who would offer everyone he interviewed a cigarette when they entered the room. Said yes and they instantly failed. That must have been about 50% of people in the 60s.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Thankfully, most of our guildies are mature enough not to use it in its truest sense. We use it in bitter irony however.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    /down with the funky kidz txtspeek lolzors

u knw u gt teh free cookies, right ?

wot mre dya wnt ? lol !!11!

/mercifcully off with the textspeak

I'd be surprised if it was a poor salary after all the hassle they go through interviewing you, if you were to jack it in the next day.

Plus you get free cookies, right ?
    Dude, you spend a part of your life in an online world, you must be used to l337 speak by now

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    B0redom posted : I asked about the salary, and they said they weren't prepared to discuss that until I'd signed off the notice period.

/down with the funky kidz txtspeek lolzors

u knw u gt teh free cookies, right ?

wot mre dya wnt ? lol !!11!

/mercifcully off with the textspeak

I'd be surprised if it was a poor salary after all the hassle they go through interviewing you, if you were to jack it in the next day.

Plus you get free cookies, right ?

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    I started the interview process a couple of years back when my 1st contract was coming to and end. After 16 (yes sixteen) interviews over one phone call, and two site visits, I was asked to visit for a 3rd time for a further 5 interviews.

I said "If you don't know I'm good enough now, then I'm not prepared to continue."

Eventually they made me an offer where I could come and work for them on probation with a 1 day notice period. I asked about the salary, and they said they weren't prepared to discuss that until I'd signed off the notice period.

I declined.

Been contacted again by then 3 or 4 times since, but I mention the process and say you need to let me know what salary it would be before I even talk to you, and they aren't prepared to discuss it further.

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied

Damn right too

It's unnatural not to play with Lego!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X