• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Have You Peaked? I have."

Collapse

• Jefferson
    replied
    I agree with the lack of motivation etc etc but to a degree grass is always greener.
    I speant 2 years trying to do different things from IT as had reached a point where I just did not want to be in an office but it did not work out. (Home automation and working for a builder friend)
    6 months ago was lucky enough to be taken back by an ex client for a contract and whilst it bores me to tears I am appreciating earning more money than I have in two years (Although still very poor compared to what I used to get)
    I do my work, then go home and try & make the most of my time outside of work.
    Can't be bothered to do any studying at the moment and don't really know what my plans are for the future but have booked a holiday to Goa for Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I'm nearly 47. I've been contracting for over 20 years. I work in investment banking. For around the past 8-9 years I've just drifted and lived on my wits rather than learnt anything new. I'm just here for the cash which although good is not life-changing and I don't have the get up and go to work on a plan B. All I'm hoping is that I can keep up the pretence for another 5-6 years when I can downsize, work in B & Q on Tuesdays and Thursdays and spend more time with the missus.
    Hadn't thought of B&Q - my hope was for Tesco :-)

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Stone me.

I'm learning something new (to me).

Pascal.

I'm becoming a quiche eater....

The Horror! Oh the Horror!

I'll be drummed out of the Real Programmers forum.
    Where is this real programmers forum of which you speak?

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I'm nearly 47. I've been contracting for over 20 years. I work in investment banking. For around the past 8-9 years I've just drifted and lived on my wits rather than learnt anything new. I'm just here for the cash which although good is not life-changing and I don't have the get up and go to work on a plan B. All I'm hoping is that I can keep up the pretence for another 5-6 years when I can downsize, work in B & Q on Tuesdays and Thursdays and spend more time with the missus.

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    I was exactly like this but then I suddenly found myself motivated - it was called having kids.

Although I agree with every sentiment mentioned, I simply could not afford to roll over and die so I retrained myself grudgingly. Then I got myself out there, hassling and blagging till people took notice of me (or was it pity? ).

Anyhow, that has made a big difference to opportunities and has even given me a bit of confidence back. The latest new offerings don't seem so daunting when you're that much further on with the new stuff.

Ironically though, after all this retraining I am on considerably less than you are. - now that is a bugger.

Leave a comment:

• eliquant
    replied
    Originally posted by MrNoMotivation View Post
    Don't want to learn new technologies.
    Don't want to be permie.
    Don't want to be a manager.

To be honest don't want to be in IT at all.
    When I was told I would get a contract ext. I wasn't happy at all. I was hoping I wouldn't get a renewal.

I feel that at 35 I've peaked.

For a second, I thought that you were me.

Leave a comment:

• MrToast
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    But so many men these days have only a dirty fridge and woman full of beer.
    Too true. Although 'woman full of beer' can often lead to 'dirty woman full of beer'.

Leave a comment:

• MrNoMotivation
    replied
    Stone me.

Pascal.

Pascal? Don't they use that in Universities? Never seen it used in business.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Stone me.

Pascal.

What's wrong with that? It has pointers after all.

Leave a comment:

• MrNoMotivation
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    There lies your problem with motivation, a problem I wouldn't mind having.
    You are spot on.
    My agent has just called saying the ext. has not come through. I spoke to the manager and they said it's all been signed off. I then said could you just make sure otherwise I need to arrange some golf for next week.
    I'd be happy to just take the rest of the year off.

Leave a comment:

• MrNoMotivation
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    Same motivational dilemma here. Been in the same dying skillset for about 10 years now but can't be bothered to learn new skills. Feel like sitting at home all day long or going on an adventure out of this wrecked country.
    Same here. I've been doing Access/VBA since I left uni. around 13 yrs ago.
    Getting a good daily rate (£350) which I'm happy with. Why break my back for an extra £50 p/d. I know I'm very lucky don't get me wrong. The point is do I want to sit at a desk for 7/8 hrs a day min. for the rest of my working life.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Same motivational dilemma here. Been in the same dying skillset for about 10 years now but can't be bothered to learn new skills. Feel like sitting at home all day long or going on an adventure out of this wrecked country.

Leave a comment:

• dack
    replied
    Don't want to learn new technologies.
    Don't want to be permie.
    Don't want to be a manager.

To be honest don't want to be in IT at all.
    When I was told I would get a contract ext. I wasn't happy at all. I was hoping I wouldn't get a renewal.

I feel that at 35 I've peaked.
    Exactly the same here, I had a good 6 years with VB with minimal changes and revisions. Now with .NET, MS seem to be rolling out new technologies for the hell of it ! I'm using Framework 2 and now version 4 is in beta and I cannot be @rsed to get to grips with yet another MS rollout.

Ditto also on your other points, manager and permie - not for me. I am working on PlanB which is IT related but doesn't involve me hacking code (much) or repeatedly having to relearn stuff.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    People say that you need the love of a good, strong family and financial security.

I say you need a dirty woman and a fridge full of beer.
    But so many men these days have only a dirty fridge and woman full of beer.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I thought long and hard about a plan B. I've got a couple of ideas but haven't done anything about it yet. Mortgage paid off and a good war chest built up.Thing is we've just put the house up for sale.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X