• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Walkman vs iPod

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Walkman vs iPod"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    I got a walkman mp3 about 4 years ago and it was great, it packed in after 8months and they sent me a newer version that was total crap. I went through 3 in 4 months. One time I was walking down the road and a bolt of lightning came down about 400 yards from me and it just stopped.

I have been using zunes for the last 2 years and they are fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by teclo View Post
    I'm having my own little backlash against Apple products. I've been using the iPod since the first generation one came out. Since then I've noticed the removal of features and the general worsening of the sound quality. My 3rd gen Nano is quite quiet even with a good pair of Seinnheiser, also I could never get the sound sharp and clear.

Last week I picked up a new X series Walkman. The sound is great and very sharp and the built in noise canceling head phones are fantastic, it's great sticking them on and hearing the background noise just vanish.

Using it is a bit of a mental change but I'm getting used to it. But it is loud and it is clear and that's what wins it for me.
    I read somewhere that iPod's sold in Europe are quieter than USA models, I think you may be able to unlock the limiter with some software.

I've only ever used mine attached to my car stereo so I never notice though I have found CD's can be played at higher volume before I get any bass distortion.

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Remember the cheapo Walkman clones with no rewind button - had to turn the tape around and fast forward it

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    Well, there were little radios before there were Walkmans, and they are still going strong. For the next couple of years anyway, till they switch off the analogue signal and expect everyone to switch to DAB.
    I know. I even built a Sinclair Micro-6. But it wasn't the same as a Walkman (especially with the stations available at the time!).

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Must say, my 16Gb £62 Sony Walkman MP3 player that I got off Argos's EBay clearance store is flippin' cracking piece of kit. One of the best buys I have ever made.

Leave a comment:

• teclo
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    "Mind that bus!"

"What bus? I can't hear a bus..."

<splat!>
    Funny you mention that, but I have to remember to turn the noise canceling off when walking on the street as something similar almost happened on the first day of use..

Bloody taxi..

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That was written by a 13-year-old? It's better written than most of the articles linked to from CUK!
    That's what I though, if it wasn't ghost written that is

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Commonly referred to as a *** Box.
    Brixton Briefcase
    Ghetto blaster

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    You're only really old if you can remember how you listened to music on the move before that: you just didn't. That is the real difference, that the youngsters didn't even imagine.
    Well, there were little radios before there were Walkmans, and they are still going strong. For the next couple of years anyway, till they switch off the analogue signal and expect everyone to switch to DAB.

Also, apart from the ghetto blaster mentioned above, there were those little flat cassette players which were absolutely everywhere. You could carry one of them in your school bag and have tinny mono music to listen to at lunchtime.

It's before cassettes and transistor radios when it must have been really tough for the personal music enthusiast. A wind-up gramophone never really was portable.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You cant say the predecessor without being racist!! Large portable stereo balanced on one shoulder. Commonly referred to as a *** Box.
    Brixton Briefcase

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    You're only really old if you can remember how you listened to music on the move before that: you just didn't. That is the real difference, that the youngsters didn't even imagine.
    You cant say the predecessor without being racist!! Large portable stereo balanced on one shoulder. Commonly referred to as a *** Box.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    That was written by a 13-year-old? It's better written than most of the articles linked to from CUK!

Leave a comment:

• teclo
    replied
    I'm having my own little backlash against Apple products. I've been using the iPod since the first generation one came out. Since then I've noticed the removal of features and the general worsening of the sound quality. My 3rd gen Nano is quite quiet even with a good pair of Seinnheiser, also I could never get the sound sharp and clear.

Last week I picked up a new X series Walkman. The sound is great and very sharp and the built in noise canceling head phones are fantastic, it's great sticking them on and hearing the background noise just vanish.

Using it is a bit of a mental change but I'm getting used to it. But it is loud and it is clear and that's what wins it for me.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    How old does this make you feel - Giving up my iPod for a Walkman

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    started a topic Walkman vs iPod

Walkman vs iPod

How old does this make you feel - Giving up my iPod for a Walkman

That was not the only naive mistake that I made; I mistook the metal/normal switch on the Walkman for a genre-specific equaliser

Working...
X