• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rejecting a contract"

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Congratulations, but it is obvious you need to reduce your exposure to the exchange rate. The Swiss National Bank have been intervening recently to keep the price of the Swiss Franc down, so at the very least you should keep your eyes on the press - www.swissinfo.ch is reasonably good at reporting these things.

Have you considered sharing an apartment to cut the accommodation costs? Not everyone's cup of tea of course.
    As was pointed out earlier, the problem was the initail rate was too low and with what the agent said regarding the cost of living out here I was on a loser from the off. I started the contract in the hope that the pound would fall - unfortunately my rate was set when it was almost at the bottom. This extra should give me a bit of a buffer. Although the accomodation out here is not great for what you pay for, it's made better knowing that I'm banking cash!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Oh yes! That is basically what I wanted all along. Had I have had this for this month, my after tax amount would have been 6k rather than the 4.5k it is at the moment. So effectively that's my expenses covered.
    Congratulations, but it is obvious you need to reduce your exposure to the exchange rate. The Swiss National Bank have been intervening recently to keep the price of the Swiss Franc down, so at the very least you should keep your eyes on the press - www.swissinfo.ch is reasonably good at reporting these things.

Have you considered sharing an apartment to cut the accommodation costs? Not everyone's cup of tea of course.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Well done that man, as several of us pointed out your negotiating position was strong and from the sounds of it you used the position correctly. I'm pleased for you

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I fly out on Sunday evening and head back on Friday afternoon. Monday isn't an option. I wish it was though - I've not had a sunday dinner in 3 months and not going to get one until October. But at least I'm going to be generating the amounts of cash I'd expected when I first took the role.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Whenever I've priced a job from Manchester > Wherever, it always seems that Monday am > Friday pm is ~£400 no matter where "wherever" is in Europe or the UK. Shetland was £700 when I looked a few weeks ago FFS! I could work in Australia for less than that!

Leave a comment:

• tino
    replied
    Oh yes! That is basically what I wanted all along. Had I have had this for this month, my after tax amount would have been 6k rather than the 4.5k it is at the moment. So effectively that's my expenses covered.
    Good to hear mate, it makes it a bit more bearable for you!

£100 a week on flights?? I'm £200 - £300 with Flybe travelling from Belfast to Birmingham every week

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Well done Tony.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Just got news back and my rate is being moved from 656 a day to 850. Now come on pound and do the decent things and kindly collapse a bit!
    Well done for being so tenacious, great result

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    No flights are the easy one - they usually come in at about 100 a week. It's accomodation out here. But now I've found an appart-hotel thing that I'm happy enough in for 55gbp a night, so it looks fine from now on. I'm doing my 'pound fall through the floor' dance now around the office. Is it having the desired effect?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Just got news back and my rate is being moved from 656 a day to 850. Now come on pound and do the decent things and kindly collapse a bit!
    Good work Tony.

I guess the flights cost is a killer though.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by tino View Post
    are you happy with that now Tony?
    Last edited by BoredBloke; 1 July 2009, 13:22.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tino
    replied
    are you happy with that now Tony?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    You think that you made a mistake accepting this contract, yet you stayed the term. Now you are saying you will work notice period for an extention that is not even agreed and there is no contract yet.
    There is an extension contract that I could have tomorrow but I want the rate increasing.

You say that you are losing money on this contract. This means that you are saying that you are using your own savings to finance this role Can you tell us what costs you are incurring that are more than your residual income?
    The first month the exchange rate had moved a little away fomn the starting point - fair enough, by month 2 that difference had grown and by month 3 (now that rate is large). Taking into account what I have spent on flights, accomodation etc over here and the bills I have in the UK, the days I will bill for this month means that I will make a loss.

Finally, as one post already mentions, in Swiss, you are a temp employee, not a business collecting clients. If they don't give you what you want, then for God sake walk away like a man.
    I will - I said that I may give them some notice - i.e. serve notice at the start of the extension or just go home there and then. The probelm is I have nothing concrete to go to although I do have a very good chance of a role in Prague - which is significantly cheaper than Geneva!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X