• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tipping the hairdresser!!!"

Collapse

• Gonzo
    replied
    Mr Gonzo Senior says that not many people tip and that he doesn't expect it.

What he does like is that one of his regulars is a jockey who often stops in for a trim on his way to the racecourse and gives the nod for one of his rides in the afternoon.

In New Labour speak these tips are "aspirations" rather than "commitments" though and he rarely makes a profit out of them.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    I've a chap in Greenwich who trims what remains of my hair regularly and who charges me £9 which also includes a head massage - I'll always give him a £10 and haven't yet had the audacity to ask for change.

Leave a comment:

• Beefy198
    replied
    I get my wife to do it nowadays. Too much "not in work today then?" "do you watch EastEnders?" bollocks for me.

Our clippers must have paid for themselves 20 times over by now.

But back in the day I would do it if they just got on with it and didn't talk to me. Or if it was the Italian bloke I used before he retired who was quite funny.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Of course.

£8 haircut done well = Tip. The salon is earning £32 quid an hour and the stylist is earning about £8 an hour.

£20 haircut done well = fat chance. The stylist if badly paid they should ask for a raise.

I tend to frequent the < £10 hour ones at odd times so I don't wait. They tend to give better cuts. I'm always polite to anyone with sharp implements near my face.

If I don't give a tip then I wasn't satisfied, if they are too arrogant to take the hint then tough. I have arguments with the wife about not leaving a tip after suffering poor service. Good service and I try to tip well.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Speaking of terminology, what in the world is a "B,S+C waxing" ?!

Back, sack and crack..

HTH

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    I tend to tip if I'm in work. When I'm benched I tend to think how lucky they are to have regular income, and begrudge even paying the standard price.

Where I live there is a traditional barbers who only charges 7.50 (IIRC). However it's one of those places where you always have to wait for a hour, and the magazines on offer (car stuff etc) have zero appeal to me - you're not going to get .Net or Wired magazine at a barbers. I go to a more modern barbers that charges 10 or 11, but you normally get served within 10 minutes of arriving. I hate sitting around in barbers.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I don't so much tip as as wonder htf the barber has the temerity to charge £7 for a 5 minute job with a pair of scissors. Although saying that I cut my own hair now. I got fed up with the waiting, dull monologues about cricket and the weather and passing him a fiver and not getting change.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Speaking of terminology, what in the world is a "B,S+C waxing" ?!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    There seems to be some confusion over terminology in this thread.

Women visit the hairdresser.

Men go to the barber's.

Southern ponces go to the barber's but say they've visited the "gentleman's hairdresser". They are effete and factually incorrect.

It's not rocket science, people

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    I've always found this question a little tricky and as a result have never tipped the hairdressor.

My father is a Barber. He owns his own Barbershop, does all the haircuts himself and sets his own prices. For forty years he has had no competition in his town. OK, he doesn't charge much but I have always thought it bizarre that his customers would tip him, but some do.

I suppose one day I should ask him what he thinks about it I would never tip an obviously self-employed barbershop owner - if they don't think they are getting enough money then they should charge more.

In London I would use one of the big chain salons so I am already paying for the (so called) premium services of a professional and wouldn't expect to have to tip on top.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    When I go down to my salon to get me barnet done, I also get a B,S+C waxing as well.
    After that, the poor girl will need a stiff drink, so I always give here a good tip to cover her costs- generally about 30 Euros.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    £45 for a cut in Harrods Urban Retreat, and a £5 tip.

A regular hairdresser who can your hair well without any instructions or stress is worth a tip in my book.

Of course, there are some places that dont warrant a tip, like the barbershop where you bring your own bowl to cut a fringe around.
    Last edited by SantaClaus; 27 June 2009, 22:55.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    I pay a tenner for my haircut the tip depends on what they charge, I still pay the same.

The barber nearest me charges £9.50

The old Italian bloke with the peg leg who nips out to place a bet on the horses half way through charges £7.00.

I go to the Italian more often.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    £120 for a cut, and I add an extra £10 for the service, coffee, biccies, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Mrs BP cuts my hair. Should I tip her?
    Yes, just remember to take it out once in a while.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X