• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tipping the hairdresser!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Well, if your mum cut's your hair, you don't have to tip. So don't worry.
    Phew!

Seriously though, I never have understood the compulsion to tip. If someone goes above and beyond what they get paid to do, then I will give them a generous tip. But tipping for the sake if it just seems daft to me. My parents are incredibly strange with it. They will spend an entire meal moaning about how bad the service is, then leave the waiter a 20 quid tip!
    Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Mrs BP cuts my hair. Should I tip her?
      Yes, just remember to take it out once in a while.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

£120 for a cut, and I add an extra £10 for the service, coffee, biccies, etc.
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I pay a tenner for my haircut the tip depends on what they charge, I still pay the same.

The barber nearest me charges £9.50

The old Italian bloke with the peg leg who nips out to place a bet on the horses half way through charges £7.00.

I go to the Italian more often.

Comment

£45 for a cut in Harrods Urban Retreat, and a £5 tip.

A regular hairdresser who can your hair well without any instructions or stress is worth a tip in my book.

Of course, there are some places that dont warrant a tip, like the barbershop where you bring your own bowl to cut a fringe around.
            Last edited by SantaClaus; 27 June 2009, 22:55.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

When I go down to my salon to get me barnet done, I also get a B,S+C waxing as well.
              After that, the poor girl will need a stiff drink, so I always give here a good tip to cover her costs- generally about 30 Euros.

PZZ

Comment

I've always found this question a little tricky and as a result have never tipped the hairdressor.

My father is a Barber. He owns his own Barbershop, does all the haircuts himself and sets his own prices. For forty years he has had no competition in his town. OK, he doesn't charge much but I have always thought it bizarre that his customers would tip him, but some do.

I suppose one day I should ask him what he thinks about it I would never tip an obviously self-employed barbershop owner - if they don't think they are getting enough money then they should charge more.

In London I would use one of the big chain salons so I am already paying for the (so called) premium services of a professional and wouldn't expect to have to tip on top.

Comment

There seems to be some confusion over terminology in this thread.

Women visit the hairdresser.

Men go to the barber's.

Southern ponces go to the barber's but say they've visited the "gentleman's hairdresser". They are effete and factually incorrect.

It's not rocket science, people

Comment

Speaking of terminology, what in the world is a "B,S+C waxing" ?!
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I don't so much tip as as wonder htf the barber has the temerity to charge £7 for a 5 minute job with a pair of scissors. Although saying that I cut my own hair now. I got fed up with the waiting, dull monologues about cricket and the weather and passing him a fiver and not getting change.

Comment

Working...
                      X