• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I start a contract next week, need advice?"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    PCG membership is woth it. Go for the + package. The insurance and advice is worth far more than the fee.

I am not a big fan of the PCG. I have mede my feelings clear in a number of threads BUT being a member is a no brainer.
    Fair point, especially as the OP is new to contracting, he will probably get more value out of it than you or I. Good advice.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    PCG membership is debatable, some think it's great, others think it's a bit pants.
    PCG membership is woth it. Go for the + package. The insurance and advice is worth far more than the fee.

I am not a big fan of the PCG. I have mede my feelings clear in a number of threads BUT being a member is a no brainer.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    OOh a newbie?? Where's the party then?
    I think this is a real one who needs real advice rather than a weak sockpuppet who needs their house trashing by a colossal p1$$ up. I could be wrong of course

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    OOh a newbie?? Where's the party then?

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Can't really see what the fuss is about here to be honest. If the OP can't understand what he's doing at this stage, should he/she even be contracting? If you call a contractor focussed accountant, I guess you'll be up and running by 4.00pm today, sorted. The bank account takes a little longer as does VAT registration. But, as far as I can see, if the OP can't sort this out, he's a lot better of as an umbrella company employee rather than a LTD co contractor anyway.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    You can normally get a certificate of non trading (whether it's worth the paper is another thing of course), you can also normally get a same day service. Certainly years ago it was much more complex to form from scratch so formation agents were a useful service - and still are in my view - what is the turnaround time for companies house now? It used to be ages.
    Exactly why trust a certificate issued by the vendor who has a vested interest in selling the asset, pointless risk.
    Formation agents or using Companies House website can get a company set up in under an hour if there's nothing weird required. The cost is very low and only increases if a printed Certificate of Incorporation is required and it's still cheap.

Since the guy is totally new to contracting he would be well advised to find a decent accountant who can hold his hand a bit to get him through the early days, quite a few accountancy firms have posters on here. Plus read the First Timer guides.

PCG membership is debatable, some think it's great, others think it's a bit pants.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    You can normally get a certificate of non trading (whether it's worth the paper is another thing of course), you can also normally get a same day service. Certainly years ago it was much more complex to form from scratch so formation agents were a useful service - and still are in my view - what is the turnaround time for companies house now? It used to be ages.
    A decent accountant will set you up with a company sharpish, today probably, certainly before it is needed.

<blatant>I use Darren at Upton (do a member search) for all my accountancy stuff.</blatant>

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Rubbish!!!!
    Just because a vendor claims that it's a never traded company why the hell would you believe them and risk it. Sure you can check, but that costs time and effort.

For the miniscule cost and time required to set up a company from scratch why would anyone with even an ounce of sense take the risk that their new company had a history?

You're talking complete and utter cobblers and I certainly don't believe that you're Chartered or an accountant as your advice is utterly misguided and certainly not of a professional standard.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Take the simple route...

http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?...25&Itemid=1205

And read all the First Timer guides, you are in dangerously difficult terirtory if you don't know what you're doing.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    [QUOTE=pzz76077;879736][QUOTE=

you will definitelyneed an accountant[/QUOTE]

but not straight away, you have plenty of time to sort out someone competent and CHEAP

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Rubbish!!!!
    Just because a vendor claims that it's a never traded company why the hell would you believe them and risk it. Sure you can check, but that costs time and effort.

For the miniscule cost and time required to set up a company from scratch why would anyone with even an ounce of sense take the risk that their new company had a history?

You're talking complete and utter cobblers and I certainly don't believe that you're Chartered or an accountant as your advice is utterly misguided and certainly not of a professional standard.
    Easy one then= when you buy a new off the shelf company, get the formation agent to confirm that it has never traded. Easy eh??

I don't know of anyone that has any issues similar to the ones you mention, just the opposite in fact.

PZZ

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    Its a well known fact that all off the shelf companies have never traded- ask any company formation agent.

Don't know where you are coming from??

PZZ
    Rubbish!!!!

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Unless you investigate the history of the "off the shelf" company how the hell do you know that it's never traded or had financial activities linked to it or the Directors appointed at formation. It's an idiotic risk when you can form one from scratch in minutes, hence it's a STUPID IDEA.

If you were in fact a Chartered Accountant you would know that.
    Its a well known fact that all off the shelf companies have never traded- ask any company formation agent.

Don't know where you are coming from??

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post

Utterly dumb idea, off the shelf companies could have a hidden history!!! It's far better to find one of the incredibly numerous set up companies who will charge £25-50 and sort a company in under an hour. You can even do it yourself on the Companies House webby. Many accountants will also sort you one and you will definitely need an accountant, there are loads of contractor savvy ones on the board.

Complete crap - off the shelf companies have never traded so how could they have a hidden history?? What are you talking about??
    Unless you investigate the history of the "off the shelf" company how the hell do you know that it's never traded or had financial activities linked to it or the Directors appointed at formation. It's an idiotic risk when you can form one from scratch in minutes, hence it's a STUPID IDEA.

If you were in fact a Chartered Accountant you would know that.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    T

A lot harder to do in practice than to type, many Agencies will moan like hell about revising a contract and some will outright refuse.

Hence, talk to the agent first!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X