• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I start a contract next week, need advice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Unless you investigate the history of the "off the shelf" company how the hell do you know that it's never traded or had financial activities linked to it or the Directors appointed at formation. It's an idiotic risk when you can form one from scratch in minutes, hence it's a STUPID IDEA.

If you were in fact a Chartered Accountant you would know that.
    Its a well known fact that all off the shelf companies have never traded- ask any company formation agent.

Don't know where you are coming from??

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
      Its a well known fact that all off the shelf companies have never traded- ask any company formation agent.

Don't know where you are coming from??

PZZ
      Rubbish!!!!
      Just because a vendor claims that it's a never traded company why the hell would you believe them and risk it. Sure you can check, but that costs time and effort.

For the miniscule cost and time required to set up a company from scratch why would anyone with even an ounce of sense take the risk that their new company had a history?

You're talking complete and utter cobblers and I certainly don't believe that you're Chartered or an accountant as your advice is utterly misguided and certainly not of a professional standard.

Comment

Rubbish!!!!
        Just because a vendor claims that it's a never traded company why the hell would you believe them and risk it. Sure you can check, but that costs time and effort.

For the miniscule cost and time required to set up a company from scratch why would anyone with even an ounce of sense take the risk that their new company had a history?

You're talking complete and utter cobblers and I certainly don't believe that you're Chartered or an accountant as your advice is utterly misguided and certainly not of a professional standard.
        Easy one then= when you buy a new off the shelf company, get the formation agent to confirm that it has never traded. Easy eh??

I don't know of anyone that has any issues similar to the ones you mention, just the opposite in fact.

PZZ

PZZ

Comment

[QUOTE=pzz76077;879736][QUOTE=

you will definitelyneed an accountant[/QUOTE]

but not straight away, you have plenty of time to sort out someone competent and CHEAP

Comment

Take the simple route...

http://www.pcg.org.uk/cms/index.php?...25&Itemid=1205

And read all the First Timer guides, you are in dangerously difficult terirtory if you don't know what you're doing.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Rubbish!!!!

You can normally get a certificate of non trading (whether it's worth the paper is another thing of course), you can also normally get a same day service. Certainly years ago it was much more complex to form from scratch so formation agents were a useful service - and still are in my view - what is the turnaround time for companies house now? It used to be ages.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                You can normally get a certificate of non trading (whether it's worth the paper is another thing of course), you can also normally get a same day service. Certainly years ago it was much more complex to form from scratch so formation agents were a useful service - and still are in my view - what is the turnaround time for companies house now? It used to be ages.
                A decent accountant will set you up with a company sharpish, today probably, certainly before it is needed.

<blatant>I use Darren at Upton (do a member search) for all my accountancy stuff.</blatant>
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                  Exactly why trust a certificate issued by the vendor who has a vested interest in selling the asset, pointless risk.
                  Formation agents or using Companies House website can get a company set up in under an hour if there's nothing weird required. The cost is very low and only increases if a printed Certificate of Incorporation is required and it's still cheap.

Since the guy is totally new to contracting he would be well advised to find a decent accountant who can hold his hand a bit to get him through the early days, quite a few accountancy firms have posters on here. Plus read the First Timer guides.

PCG membership is debatable, some think it's great, others think it's a bit pants.

Comment

Can't really see what the fuss is about here to be honest. If the OP can't understand what he's doing at this stage, should he/she even be contracting? If you call a contractor focussed accountant, I guess you'll be up and running by 4.00pm today, sorted. The bank account takes a little longer as does VAT registration. But, as far as I can see, if the OP can't sort this out, he's a lot better of as an umbrella company employee rather than a LTD co contractor anyway.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

OOh a newbie?? Where's the party then?
                      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                      X