• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Shares - I am going in!"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    Don't you mean seven figures? Everyone has six figures surely and DP is a superior trader.
    Six including the pence.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I recall Dim mentioning a few times that he has six figure sums invested, but it's never come across (to me at least) as boasting, I suspect he doesn't feel the need to try and act superior.
    Don't you mean seven figures? Everyone has six figures surely and DP is a superior trader.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    *ahem* <cough>
    Still waiting for that 10% from y'all.

Any finance advisor will recommend BP & BT . Good dividend for a start. BT's a bit risky but they still hold the cards in the UK.
    Feh, show me the wet signed commission contract and it's yours

It was a good tip, I didn't get in right at the bottom price, but not far off.

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    I don't recall you being the first one to post the Barclays tip I remember it being someone else, I'd be happy to see proof that you were, I made a few bob on that.
    *ahem* <cough>
    Still waiting for that 10% from y'all.

Any finance advisor will recommend BP & BT . Good dividend for a start. BT's a bit risky but they still hold the cards in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Spread over several shares at least 10, and over time. i.e. shove in some now and wait and shove more money in later. I have between 30 and 40 shares in mine.

My rule is that I can always hold money back, so that after a crash I can shove quite a lot in. I wasn't expecting the big crash but when it did happen last year I increased the size of my portfolio by about 50%. This means you recover a lot quicker. Actually if you hold money back, then instead of a crash being a terrible event that wipes out your investments and giving you sleepless nights, it becomes a once in a life time buying opportunity. When the crash came, inspite of the 30-40% losses I was excited by the opportunity to shove even more in.
    It is a good idea to look back at the history of the stock market, and try out different strategies, to see how it would have worked after the big crashes.

Also purchase a research letter and read around, don't just buy what you see.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 17 June 2009, 07:51.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    We're waiting for CT to weigh in with his investing prowess (NR, etc)

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    To earn 15% all the OP has to do is hold the shares for 3 years. He'll get 15% in dividends without any increase in share price.

Interesting article in the Sunday Telegraph showing for the first time ever the developing world is using more oil than the developed economies. With GDP growth in these economies generally above 10% per annum, the only way is up long term for the price of oil. Unfortunately, I misjudged this and missed out on the doubling of oil the last 6 months. But if there is a dip I will jump in.

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Originally posted by Liability View Post
    Id agree- from little info out there - they did tentatively approach a large outsourcer for a tie ip / merger but that went along the lines of "speak to the face...."

Oil - As we move out of the bottom of the market demand may increase. As America moves out the bottom - demand MAY increase - as India and China stave off any further decline they will aim to invest in their core infrastructure; which may increase Oil demand. As China spend more of there $2.4 Trillion to regenerate and take over energy companies- demand and price will be affected, as Iran and NK get closer to confrontation - Oil Prices WILL increase, etc etc. Its obv complex - but this is part of why I beleive Oil will be a very interesting commodity to observe over the coming 6-18 months.

Again - this is all based on trends and what ifs.
    All I can say is that OPECS view is that they will slowly cut production over the next 24 months, so not only do I not see where all this oil revenue is going, Im not at all clear on where it will come from either.

As a point of fact, making 15% on 50k is nothing to brag about. I make 11% tas free on my offshore high yield bonds for doing absolutely sod all, assuming you are UK resident for tax purposes, pay tax & stamp duty, trading costs etc you are not making much more than a couple of percent more for risking everything. Not too smart IMV!

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    It will give us something to laugh at when BT goes broke and oil prices fall flat and BP shares follow suit.

Why people stick money on one or two shares is beyond me. Spread the risk, don't take silly punts.

WHS. I see the markets with a lot of risk at the moment - i`ve invested but am well spread out across industries. I still think BT and BP good choices though

At the moment I I think the markets could have some downside but I`m in for the long term

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    I would say that Id put money on it, but you wont have any soon so no point.

BTW- I did not mention BT selling BTGS as everyone knows they are not worth anything. They will be spun off as a separate entity and BT's stock will be diluted as a result.

Why would anyone need oil anytime soon- we are in a world wide recession and will be for the next 24 months at least. What would this oil be used for exactly??

PZZ
    Id agree- from little info out there - they did tentatively approach a large outsourcer for a tie ip / merger but that went along the lines of "speak to the face...."

Oil - As we move out of the bottom of the market demand may increase. As America moves out the bottom - demand MAY increase - as India and China stave off any further decline they will aim to invest in their core infrastructure; which may increase Oil demand. As China spend more of there $2.4 Trillion to regenerate and take over energy companies- demand and price will be affected, as Iran and NK get closer to confrontation - Oil Prices WILL increase, etc etc. Its obv complex - but this is part of why I beleive Oil will be a very interesting commodity to observe over the coming 6-18 months.

Again - this is all based on trends and what ifs.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    I don't recall you being the first one to post the Barclays tip I remember it being someone else, I'd be happy to see proof that you were, I made a few bob on that.
    Hmm when did I suggest I was the first one? However - now that you mention it; I didnt see other posts saying it as I dont have the chance to read each and every post.

You can't possibly know how much I earn or have stockpiled in cash and assets, stop behaving like an Essex plaster with a wad complex, it's undignified.
    I would say the better question is - Do I care?

The way you wrote it comes over exactly as "look how much cash I have", a far more suitable post would have said you're investing heavily rather than slapping £50k on the table yelling about your fat wad.
    I would possibly refer to the first part of this as it would suggest that you have issues in comprehending information - ie me saying I was the first yada yada yada. Did it somehow offend you that someone doesnt need money or value to maybe make themselves superior? To me its just figures and value - here today and gone tomorrow. But I guess those with a somewhat envious persona may see it as a mechanism to take shots at another; which again is fair play. For me - saying its 50k or 500k doesnt get me excited - what does is reading how much cofidence someone has in the trade. Yet again - you may not be in the trading arena so I can appreciate how you may not understand the psyche. Not your fault at all.

I recall Dim mentioning a few times that he has six figure sums invested, but it's never come accross (to me at least) as boasting, I suspect he doesn't feel the need to try and act superior.
    And here is the issue. "[to me at least]". Need I say more? Oh and superior? I guess if you someone thought you was inferior then maybe that is an issue in your persona? I certainly wouldnt feel superior by mentioning money unless there was a reason

In short your post and the follow up that this is a response to appear to me to be in bad taste and thoroughly obnoxious.
    What's your point? If you didnt like it dont post in the thread - but either way work on your assumptions and interpretations skills - itll help your character grow.

I still love you though

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Let's see hey.

Demand forcast? Have you really used that argument?. 5 months before the begining of the global meltdown [read LB et all collapsing] what was the demand forcast for Oil and what prices were being punted for the next 12 and 24 months? Hmm was it 200USD 300USD or even higher?

Not trying to be funny - but if you are using demand forcast as a reason why they will not perform then maybe you need to review your approach. More over - as we pull out of the bottom of the economy [and this is across the globe] demand will be interlinked.

But again - lets see.

on 50k I look for at LEAST 15% back within my maximum allotted investment period.

BTGS - It is well known that BT have tried to sell BTGS and this is common sense so nothing new there. However - if they DO sell them - the underlying liability for BT as a group reduces EVEN when you take into account the writeoffs. So I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

I would say that Id put money on it, but you wont have any soon so no point.

BTW- I did not mention BT selling BTGS as everyone knows they are not worth anything. They will be spun off as a separate entity and BT's stock will be diluted as a result.

Why would anyone need oil anytime soon- we are in a world wide recession and will be for the next 24 months at least. What would this oil be used for exactly??

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I did the same when Barclays dropped to 55p and I beleive the same old people said the same old stuff - whilst I gave my heartfelt advice....but then I hate to say told you so.

Tyke - You have to be the total and complete role model for a Contractor and thats why I love you; even though you may be poor - but wealth isnt important right - so I love you even more!
    You can't possibly know how much I earn or have stockpiled in cash and assets, stop behaving like an Essex plaster with a wad complex, it's undignified.

What is the point of not mentioning how much? See this is where you show how typical and institutionalised you have become even as contractors. If I see someone posting about shares - I want to see how much and when - not because its about "Hey look Ive got a big wad" but its about how much is he putting up and thus how confident is that person. However - I can understand why you may say this - as many of you probably arent into trading as such - so fair play.
    The way you wrote it comes over exactly as "look how much cash I have", a far more suitable post would have said you're investing heavily rather than slapping £50k on the table yelling about your fat wad.

DimPrawn - how much do you know about shares and whats your success? Lets leave it at that It's not for everyone this investing lark - but for the few that do follow it - it can make you [and break you I guess]. So I can understand that not taking risks is something for the weaker person - so fair play to you
    I recall Dim mentioning a few times that he has six figure sums invested, but it's never come across (to me at least) as boasting, I suspect he doesn't feel the need to try and act superior.

In short your post and the follow up that this is a response to appear to me to be in bad taste and thoroughly obnoxious.
    Last edited by TykeMerc; 16 June 2009, 18:00.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    BT will be broken in two and have corresponding shares split. Profits for you doubtful.

The demand forecast for oil over the period you mention is steady, production prices are increasing, and profits will be down, not to mention the bad name oil has these days thanks to the environmentalists, bit oil finds a bit thin on the ground these days etc. Profits for you doubtful.

Tieing up money for that period of time in shares is nothing to shout about IMV, especially the two you mention, not smart at all.....

PZZ
    Let's see hey.

Demand forcast? Have you really used that argument?. 5 months before the begining of the global meltdown [read LB et all collapsing] what was the demand forcast for Oil and what prices were being punted for the next 12 and 24 months? Hmm was it 200USD 300USD or even higher?

Not trying to be funny - but if you are using demand forcast as a reason why they will not perform then maybe you need to review your approach. More over - as we pull out of the bottom of the economy [and this is across the globe] demand will be interlinked.

But again - lets see.

on 50k I look for at LEAST 15% back within my maximum allotted investment period.

BTGS - It is well known that BT have tried to sell BTGS and this is common sense so nothing new there. However - if they DO sell them - the underlying liability for BT as a group reduces EVEN when you take into account the writeoffs. So I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Ohhh the venom from some of you underperforming minions - oooh just so contractor like.

I am only sharing the love!

I did the same when Barclays dropped to 55p and I beleive the same old people said the same old stuff - whilst I gave my heartfelt advice....but then I hate to say told you so.

If sharing good information which may help others was a crime - Id be guilty

Tyke - You have to be the total and complete role model for a Contractor and thats why I love you; even though you may be poor - but wealth isnt important right - so I love you even more!

What is the point of not mentioning how much? See this is where you show how typical and institutionalised you have become even as contractors. If I see someone posting about shares - I want to see how much and when - not because its about "Hey look Ive got a big wad" but its about how much is he putting up and thus how confident is that person. However - I can understand why you may say this - as many of you probably arent into trading as such - so fair play.

DimPrawn - how much do you know about shares and whats your success? Lets leave it at that It's not for everyone this investing lark - but for the few that do follow it - it can make you [and break you I guess]. So I can understand that not taking risks is something for the weaker person - so fair play to you

Leave a comment:

Working...
X