• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How mortal are you going to get tonight?"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I have the odd week where I drink no alcohol at all and I've found I get mild hangover like symptoms for 2 days after my last drink which I wouldn't get if I'd had a pint or two the night before, after 2 dry days I feel good again.

I think it has something to do with the liver producing enzymes to break down alcohol that's not there.

Not getting 'buckled' tonight... child duties.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    ... It's meant to be enjoyed.
    I'll drink to that.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    A bottle of whiskey in his house won't last two days.
    That's what I'm like with sweet stuff - it's a real problem. If it's in the house, it'll get eaten - so I dont often get stuff in.

Booze however, can sit in my house all year.

I feel so sorry for people who've taken alcohol to it's extreme - it must be very sad not being able to have it anymore. It's meant to be enjoyed.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
    As far as I am aware, the only study that I have read about was one that says if you drink 50 units per week you have a problem.
    That's equivalent to:

5-6 bottles of wine (11%-13%)
    19 pints of guiness ~ less than 3 pints a day
    1 and 2/3 bottles of whiskey (or other 40% proof) ~3.5 doubles a night.

There are people who drink excessively who do so because the choose to, not because they're addicted. The only way to tell if their alkies, is when they try to stop. Of course, addicted or not, the damage is the same.

I'm puzzled by the idea that people only drink heavily because they have crap lives. I know a few (drinking) alcoholics who have, apart from the addiction, great lives. The reason they drink is because the addiction makes them feel severely anxious if they don't have a drink. They started off as social drinkers, but the problem only became evident in their 30s, when they tried to cut down or stop, and found it incredibly difficult. One of them doesn't usually drink to excess, or every day. He's very careful about when and where he drinks, to prevent having too much. A bottle of whiskey in his house won't last two days.

I find that I start to pee by the fourth pint. After that it's every 1 or 2 pints...

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    It's a common problem in older women

*hides*
    cheeky

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    You can't have a range as an average in any field of science.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Mean modal or median?

2-3 times is a range
    This is Biology, not maths

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Alchohol is a diuretic. It encourages the body to excrete ( sorry SA ) water i.e. makes you pee. Without alchohol normal people only need to pee 2-3 times a day on avaerage.
    Mean modal or median?

2-3 times is a range

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Cursed with slack bladders, we are.
    It's a common problem in older women

*hides*

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Getting most of that, apart from the connection between being Irish and peeing
    The kettle never gets cold at chez "Ma & Da Maith"...

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Cursed with slack bladders, we are.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    You're Irish, you drink gallons of tea. Tea contains Caffeine. Caffeine is also a diuretic!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I must be a freak of nature then... I need to wee that many times an hour!!
    You're Irish, you drink gallons of tea. Tea contains Caffeine. Caffeine is also a diuretic!
    (As mentioned by DaveB)

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I must be a freak of nature then... I need to wee that many times an hour!!
    It depnds how much fluid you drink. Caffeine in Tea and coffee are diuretics as well. Excessive urination can also be a sign of diabetes in men and women or prostate problems in men.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    You could always use one of these and find a drainpipe
    Ewwww

Leave a comment:

Working...
X