• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "My company have just employed The Hay group to define job roles"

Collapse

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    ...and this would be of interest to a CONTRACTORS forum for why, exactly?
    Although we don't consider ourselves employee's of ClientCo - that doesn't stop ClientCo from viewing us a such - just a flexible (i.e. sackable) employee.

So if their brief is to look at all the possible types of resources, then yes, it could affect contractors.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    They did it at British Gas back in the 90s. It's a way of standardising job roles/responsibilities/grades. However, one of the consultants working on it, told me that he could write a job description for any job, and depending on certain key words, define the grade it would end up on.
    Yes, that's pretty much correct. I went through such a process when employed years ago at ICI who used Hay grades. Often, if you had a really good manager (I never did) they would rewrite your job description to give you a grade or two pay increase. It never happened to me though, which is partly why I left as my face didn't fit the corporate mold.

Leave a comment:

• Pickle2
    replied
    Originally posted by notescontractor View Post
    nope was a contractor, now permie.
    Let me guess, you switched for the greater job security right?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    They did it at British Gas back in the 90s. It's a way of standardising job roles/responsibilities/grades. However, one of the consultants working on it, told me that he could write a job description for any job, and depending on certain key words, define the grade it would end up on.

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    From my experience, if they bring in 'HR' people, they are looking to

* restructure
    * interview everyone for the (lesser number of) new jobs (possibly at lower rates)
    * make redundant the people whose old jobs no longer exist

These people are never brought in to create new jobs or make your daily chores less stressful while they rearrange job roles. They are there to cut costs for the one paying their fee.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Loads of big co's use Hay grades. It's one of the reasons why they all pay virtually the same these days.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Most likely they (your employers) are just trying to cover their own backsides by ensuring everyone's complying with equal pay and ops legislation. They sometimes also recommend changes to pay/benefits - a pal of mine once got a company car following a Hay review because their review suggested that people doing equivalent jobs to hers elsewhere would be entitled.

http://www.haygroup.com/uk/index.aspx
    Yep, that's probably the best the OP can hope for - any straw will do..

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Although not strictly relevant in this, a contractor forum, the Hay group is a benchmarking outfit - they will look at jobs and compare them with other organisations (HR insultancy).

Most likely they (your employers) are just trying to cover their own backsides by ensuring everyone's complying with equal pay and ops legislation. They sometimes also recommend changes to pay/benefits - a pal of mine once got a company car following a Hay review because their review suggested that people doing equivalent jobs to hers elsewhere would be entitled.

It isn't necessarily a prelude to firings etc., unless of course you have a lot of deadwood or very greedy execs/shareholders in the organisation.

The Hay Group publish pay scales which are used in large parts of the UK Public Sector.

There's quite a bit of moronic HR craptrap on their website
    http://www.haygroup.com/uk/index.aspx

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by scotspine View Post
    now now guys, i was shot down in flames for a similar remark in accountancy. please be a bit more ... agreeable.
    Well, I must admit that I was of the same opinion as PM-Junkie, he wasn't rude, just asking the blindingly obvious.

Note to newbies - give a bit of context when you ask these types of questions. A blunt question will illicit a blunt answer.

Anyway, the answer is - Who knows? (but probably yes).

This isn't the recruitment arm of Hays - it'll probably be Hay/McBer who are premier in HR Development.

HB is often brought it after a series of buy-outs/mergers to realign all of the smaller parts of the company into one homogeneous whole, so that a senior software developer in one part of the company does the same type of job in one company as another.

Then they can consolidate and get rid of 'dead wood'.

HB is also used if the company decides on a strategic change of direction. HR can see what jobs they've got too much of and what jobs they need..

Actually then, probably yes - it does mean redundancies. so hopefully you didn't believe the bull that permiedom offered stability and a career structure (you didn't, did you? )

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    Depends what this Hay group does. If their main role is to define all the roles to India then it would be of interest. If it's role is to define all roles to their people at the expense of the contractors then it would also be of interest. Unfortunately I don't know either way.

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied
    now now guys, i was shot down in flames for a similar remark in accountancy. please be a bit more ... agreeable.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by notescontractor View Post
    The company which i work for has hired them.

Leave a comment:

• notescontractor
    replied
    The company which i work for has hired them.

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    I'm confused?

Are you a Director in your company?

Who has appointed them?

T

Leave a comment:

• My company have just employed The Hay group to define job roles

I have just received the following global email. Does this usually mean redundanices?

"An external consultancy (the Hay Group), which has extensive experience was appointed to ensure all job descriptions were written in a standard and consistent format."

Has anyone had any experience with this company before?

Many thanks

Working...
X