• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The dying of the light.."

Collapse

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    You do know what they make that stuff out of don't you?
    Expensive piss?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I think I'll stick to the salon highlights if it's all the same to you
    You do know what they make that stuff out of don't you?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    You can also use it for highlighting your hair, although cat's piss is better for this (why do they say something is 'cat's piss' to mean it's weak? Never understood that one...).
    My cat will piss on your head if you let him.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    You can also use it for highlighting your hair, although cat's piss is better for this (why do they say something is 'cat's piss' to mean it's weak? Never understood that one...).
    I think I'll stick to the salon highlights if it's all the same to you

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Wee has been used for all sorts of things in the past, and even collected on a big scale, for things including making explosives and tanning leather. I think it contains phosphorous amongst other things, including of course ammonia.
    Indeed. It was collected in vast quantities in Sweden in the 18th c. to create the phosphorous to make matches.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    As opposed to conventional or herbal medicine, homeopathy is based on the principle that a substance that can make people ill can be diluted thousands of times to treat the symptoms it would otherwise create
    a principle invented by a bloke a few hundred years ago

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Actually piss is a very useful substance, It's sterile the moment it comes out of your body and is excellent for treating chilblains. It is also really good to warm your hands if they gotten cold while kayaking or diving (would recommend eating your sarnies 1st though..) It's also good for easing piles if you wee in the bath.

And there's loads more uses (but I suspect you've had enough... )

Certainly more use than arnica...
    Wee has been used for all sorts of things in the past, and even collected on a big scale, for things including making explosives and tanning leather. I think it contains phosphorous amongst other things, including of course ammonia.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Actually true, I well remember when my middle son at the age of two came down with some appalling stomach bug that was pushing him rapidly towards dehydration the doctor advised adding small amounts of salt and sugar to the water he was drinking copiously until the doc could get there. Apparently pure water would have been dangerous in the quantities he was drinking.
    Yep, you need salt to prevent the body cells from getting waterlogged and their walls from collapsing...

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Strangely enough, pure water isn't the best remedy for thirst. Salt and sugars ease hydration I gather.
    Actually true, I well remember when my middle son at the age of two came down with some appalling stomach bug that was pushing him rapidly towards dehydration the doctor advised adding small amounts of salt and sugar to the water he was drinking copiously until the doc could get there. Apparently pure water would have been dangerous in the quantities he was drinking.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Dilute your piss in a small, expensively labeled bottle - just as much use and easily as profitable.
    Actually piss is a very useful substance, It's sterile the moment it comes out of your body and is excellent for treating chilblains. It is also really good to warm your hands if they gotten cold while kayaking or diving (would recommend eating your sarnies 1st though..) It's also good for easing piles if you wee in the bath.

And there's loads more uses (but I suspect you've had enough... )

Certainly more use than arnica...

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Arnica is not a homeopathic remedy though, is it?
    I think the point is that when presented as a homeopathic remedy, it is so diluted that there is effectively none of it in the product (just a few molecules on average), so it doesn't matter whether it works or not, when you take a homeopathic "remedy" you are not actually taking any of the allegedly active ingredient.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    That's marketing. Just marketing.
    Respectable(ish) source otherwise I wouldn't have remembered it.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Strangely enough, pure water isn't the best remedy for thirst. Salt and sugars ease hydration I gather.
    Indeed; that's why sports drinks include salts and sugar in small amounts.

Isotonic Sports Drink Recipe

200ml of Fruit Cordial Drink (personally I'd recommend less; 150 ml is OK)

800ml of water

1g/pinch of salt

Mix well and Chill.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    That's marketing. Just marketing.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Guaranteed remedy for thirst!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X