• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Celebrity C**ts

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Celebrity C**ts"

Collapse

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I'm still in awe that you were told to **** off by Peter Cook.

I'm trying to picture it. Was he unkempt? Or wearing his cloth cap perhaps?
    Peter Cook ' Twanged' my Garter Belt once !

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Do you know who I am?

After living in France for quite a while my ex-wife and I used to still visit friends occasionally.

Having had a long-standing relationship with "Europcar" I was well known by the staff at Nice airport.

On one such visit I walked up to the Europcar desk at the airport to find Richard Madely and family at the desk in front of me. Richard was very upset and said "But you must have a car for me, do you know who I am?"

To which I replied in my best stage whisper, "No Richard, they're French, how the f**k are they supposed to know who the hell you are?"

I was then informed by the nice chap behind the desk "Ahh, Mr Churchill, your car is waiting for you outside in the usual spot." - priceless.

Talking about France, I once did a weekends work as bodyguard to Kurt Russel and Goldie Hawn and their children. Nice people - really!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Rather the opposite of the original purpose of this thread, but others have spoken well of people, so here goes

In 1980 I had the good fortune to interview Roger McGough, Adrian Henri and our new Poet Laureate Carol Ann Duffy after a joint reading they gave at the Haymarket Theatre. I was a callow youth, about three weeks into studenthood, and blagged the opportunity (by having the idea during the interval and finding the theatre's PR chap through asking at the box office) on the grounds that I was planning to write a review of the evening for the Students' Union newspaper.

First up was Adrian. He had a lordly and expansive manner, and bought me a pint - a kindness I was sadly never able to return, as the bar closed as I was talking to him, and he died before I ever had another opportunity of meeting him. He was more than happy to answer anything I asked with some wonderful anecdote. He was a great raconteur, and a pleasure to be with.

He passed me along to Carol Ann, who was living with him at the time - well, living at the same address; I'm not implying that they were an item (although they may have been for all I know). She was kind and friendly, doing her best to be helpful in the face of my obvious gaucherie.

She then introduced me to Roger. He was also a kind and gentle soul, though not above a few subtle digs at my naiveté; being a Scouser myself, I recognised these, and accepted them in the spirit in which they were offered: one of simple friendliness that recognises but does not criticise flaws that will, in time, pass.

All in all, I reckon they were three of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Each of them was, in person, exactly what one might have expected of them from their poetry; and that's probably the hallmark of a great poet.

My favourite point of the evening, though, was when I was first talking to Carol Ann. I pointed at the plaster cast on her left wrist and said, "That'll teach you not to run out in front of taxis after getting pissed in a Greek restaurant on Mount Pleasant with George Melly."

Her jaw dropped; she gazed at me in blank astonishment for a couple of seconds.

Finally she gasped, "How did you know about that?"

"Because Melly wrote about it in his column in Punch this week," I cheerfully replied.

Her jaw dropped again. "That bastard Melly... I'll get him for that!"

Then her hand flew to her mouth as a thought struck her:

"Oh God, I hope my Mum hasn't read that!"

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    At a hotel Robbie Coltraine held open a door for a girl I was with, making a little extended eye-contact with her to try to get her to wonder who he was. Upon enquiring I told her, in a loud voice so he would hear "That's Scotland's finest actor", then "many famous films he's been in. The best? "Nuns on the Run"

He gave me a scowl
    You should have said he's Rab C Nesbitt.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied

The platypus...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-4tcsCLnws

He was pissed, as ever.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    But still not a patch on Geoffrey Archer. He turned up at our school speach day one year. Boring sanctamonious twat. Looked and acted bored stiff for the entire afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    But still not a patch on Geoffrey Archer. He turned up at our school speach day one year. Boring sanctamonious twat. Looked and acted bored stiff for the entire afternoon.
    an honest politician!!!!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    When Rick Mayal was doing the research for Alan B'stard he contacted Portillo and interviewed him. I thought Portillo was fairly mild mannered if a little smug, but it would appear he's far more of a twat than I imagined

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    When he was in politics I used to loathe the ground he slithered on. I do think he's more useful as a TV personality. Or whatever it is that he does.
    When Rick Mayal was doing the research for Alan B'stard he contacted Portillo and interviewed him. I thought Portillo was fairly mild mannered if a little smug, but it would appear he's far more of a twat than I imagined

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Oooh that would be twisting the knife, nasty!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    At a hotel Robbie Coltraine held open a door for a girl I was with, making a little extended eye-contact with her to try to get her to wonder who he was. Upon enquiring I told her, in a loud voice so he would hear "That's Scotland's finest actor", then "many famous films he's been in. The best? "Nuns on the Run"

He gave me a scowl

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Robbie Coltraine.

This would have been mid eighties before he was well known.
    He was having somethign to eat at the motorway services at Carlisle.
    I was taking a bunch of Venture Scouts on a ski trip to Aviemore.
    One of our lot, after waiting for him to finish eating wnet over to get an autograph.
    "**** off darling I am trying to have my dinner in peace" was his response.
    Nice chap.

He gave me a scowl

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    "Then **** off and stop wasting my time."
    Alan Clarke once quoted Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire, when he said that Portillo was a 'politician's politician'.

Particularly prescient, as Portillo 'inherited' Alan's seat upon his death...

...and promptly lost it.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Enfield Town market place, circa 1987-ish.

A chap with a blue rosette was shaking hands and sucking babies' lollies out of their mouths with his own mouth.

Being very interested in politics at the time I wandered up and asked him some question or other, probably on Marxism knowing me.

He firmly held my hand, huge grin, face too close to mine and replied with

"Will you be voting for me then?"

"I can't. I'm only 17."

He shoved me away (yes, shoved) and snarled

"Then **** off and stop wasting my time."

That was Michael Portillo.

The ****.

30 years later ... not forgotten ... still hating ...

search engine keys: Michael Portillo rude swear celebrity gay-in-denial defence secretary BAE director slime mould.
    I met him at the Wandsworth Conservative club in 1999. His speech was boring and the "jokes" poor.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    That was Michael Portillo.

The ****.

30 years later ... not forgotten ... still hating ...
    When he was in politics I used to loathe the ground he slithered on. I do think he's more useful as a TV personality. Or whatever it is that he does.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X