• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Zeity - What's Bridgend like?"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post

Maybe I should be glad I am not looking for a new gig.
    There is no "Maybe" about it!

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    yup the second most dreadful place.

Swansea is good though, but rains everyday there too.
    uh oh - there is currently a role in in my expertise-area in Port Talbot floating around. On google maps it looks like a nice place with opportunities for a swim in the summer.

Maybe I should be glad I am not looking for a new gig.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Bridgend, is the most dreadful place in Wales. It is a grimy industrial wasteland, and it rains almost everyday.

Why did anyone ever populate it? Was it for coal? They could have just moved somewhere warmer and they wouldn't have needed it.

I suppose that could apply to much of Northern Europe though.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    HTF do they expect to fill roles when the rate is so bad it won’t allow for long commutes let alone overnight stays.
    Not sure where you live, but 17ph in that part of the world would be considered good money. I suspect the problem is that you're living in a part of the country where living expenses are higher, and the damage on your wallet is compounded further by the travel and toll expense.

The same problem would apply to anybody living in or around London - from an economical standpoint your choice of contracts is limited because the day/hourly rate outside London is likely to be substantially lower and you've got the transport/accomodation costs to bear.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I turned it down when I saw the rate, the agent tried to convince me that a 140 mile round trip plus bridge toll was doable on £17ph, he said there was plenty of overtime, yeh right... working day + 3 hour drive + overtime...

HTF do they expect to fill roles when the rate is so bad it won’t allow for long commutes let alone overnight stays.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane View Post
    Never been to Port Talbot?
    yup the second most dreadful place.

Swansea is good though, but rains everyday there too.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Bridgend, is the most dreadful place in Wales. It is a grimy industrial wasteland, and it rains almost everyday.

Never been to Port Talbot?

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    OK or would I need 4 locking wheel nuts on each wheel and a stab proof vest?
    I use to have 4 locking wheel nuts on each wheel when I worked in Telford and had an XR3i ( I know but it was about 12 years ago now). As it has the dreaded Revenue would proably need the stab vest now too.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Would that be anything to do with "Air" and "Wave" and "Tetra" perchance?
    No, crap money and a 140 mile round trip with a bridge toll, when its windy you can double that.

Why can't the same job be closer to home?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Oh god... It's working for South Wales Police too, maybe they're busy?
    Would that be anything to do with "Air" and "Wave" and "Tetra" perchance?

Leave a comment:

• JamieMoles
    replied
    They won't be busy looking into a Teenage Mass Suicide cult if that's what you're worried about. From what I read in the new the police reckon it's all a big coincidence.....

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Was Bridgend the place where teenagers committed suicide to amuse themselves?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Was Bridgend the place where teenagers committed suicide to amuse themselves?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    OK or would I need 4 locking wheel nuts on each wheel and a stab proof vest?
    It's a hole.

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X