• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zeity - What's Bridgend like?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chicane View Post
    Never been to Port Talbot?
    yup the second most dreadful place.

Swansea is good though, but rains everyday there too.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

I turned it down when I saw the rate, the agent tried to convince me that a 140 mile round trip plus bridge toll was doable on £17ph, he said there was plenty of overtime, yeh right... working day + 3 hour drive + overtime...

HTF do they expect to fill roles when the rate is so bad it won’t allow for long commutes let alone overnight stays.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        HTF do they expect to fill roles when the rate is so bad it won’t allow for long commutes let alone overnight stays.
        Not sure where you live, but 17ph in that part of the world would be considered good money. I suspect the problem is that you're living in a part of the country where living expenses are higher, and the damage on your wallet is compounded further by the travel and toll expense.

The same problem would apply to anybody living in or around London - from an economical standpoint your choice of contracts is limited because the day/hourly rate outside London is likely to be substantially lower and you've got the transport/accomodation costs to bear.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Bridgend, is the most dreadful place in Wales. It is a grimy industrial wasteland, and it rains almost everyday.

Why did anyone ever populate it? Was it for coal? They could have just moved somewhere warmer and they wouldn't have needed it.

I suppose that could apply to much of Northern Europe though.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            yup the second most dreadful place.

Swansea is good though, but rains everyday there too.
            uh oh - there is currently a role in in my expertise-area in Port Talbot floating around. On google maps it looks like a nice place with opportunities for a swim in the summer.

Maybe I should be glad I am not looking for a new gig.
            "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post

Maybe I should be glad I am not looking for a new gig.
              There is no "Maybe" about it!
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
              X