• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Divorce payouts

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Divorce payouts"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

I don't even know where to start with this one. I assume you still have a hangover from lastnight's Guiness.
    He was drinking before 19:03?

As SKA has been such a huge success I suppose he can afford it.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    There should be a maximum payout limit of £1 mln unless it can be proven that the wife earned that money herself. Perhaps joint accounts should be outlawed - every adult should be grown up enough to deal with their own finances.

I don't even know where to start with this one. I assume you still have a hangover from lastnight's Guiness.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I don't think that each partner's contribution and what they had before the marriage should matter one little bit.

Marriage is supposed to be a partnership where two people effectively become a single unit, to treat it any differently is to demean it.

It is not as though that isn't made completely clear to you beforehand.

EDIT: Of course, I haven't been through a bitter divorce and neither has any of my family.
    I agree. And giving 70% to the woman on divorce is quite fair too. And of course the 30% can be held by the woman under the children reach 18.

Leave a comment:

• JamieMoles
    replied
    Marriage is supposed to be a partnership where two people effectively become a single unit, to treat it any differently is to demean it.
    I think anyone going through a divorce has "demeaned" marriage about as much as it's possible to.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    It should be split 100% down the middle.
    I don't think that each partner's contribution and what they had before the marriage should matter one little bit.

It is not as though that isn't made completely clear to you beforehand.

EDIT: Of course, I haven't been through a bitter divorce and neither has any of my family.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    I am not so sure about that.

What possible interest would AtW have in the subject of divorce payouts?

Very good point!

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Well that's cause Denver is clearly AtW.
    I am not so sure about that.

What possible interest would AtW have in the subject of divorce payouts?

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    With regards to the issue at hand...

I think this is one of the most cut and dry cases seen in the press for years!

Married 28 years, 7 kids - their money is exactly that - "their's".

It should be split 100% down the middle.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    LOL. I like how not a single piece of this statement makes any sense whatsoever.
    Well that's cause Denver is clearly AtW.

No 2 people could be that incomprehensable.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by denver2k View Post
    ...how on earth it is justifyable to handout someones hard earned earnings to someone with whom he is seperating anyways...
    He earned that money? He got paid it. Not quite the same thing.

Originally posted by JamieMoles View Post
    If that happened to me I would quit work immediately. Future earnings? What future earnings?
    Gosh, that's clever. Rather than have half my future earnings, I'll have none of it.

Together JamieMoles and denver2k are witty. Apart, they're half that.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Maybe

He made most of his money while he was with her, so she should recieve a significant amount. However wonderful she may be as a 'nurturer' she can't be worth half of his fortune, he could have had 4 round the clock nannies and multiple working girls for the last 28 years for a 100th of the amount. Bet they wouldn't look dowdy in the morning or nag him about the dishes.

It astounds me how people honestly believe that a minor earner should receive half the wealth developed in a marriage once a reasonable level of living is assured (say the RR £5M pension pot). Unless they clearly enabled the making of the fortune then no IMHO.

When these fortunes are involved then its reasonable to investigate the level of involvement of both parties. If both husband and wife have been equal throughout then its fair to divide the spoils, for instance Brad Pitt & Jennifer Anniston should be able to clearly identify each payday and divide accordingly.

If you make a billion because you work initially with a partner in business are they entitled to the same share if you work 18 hour days and provide most of the effort and expertise while they occasionally do the accounts? Not according to the taxman they aren't.

Treat these divorces like business not a lottery.

Any of these celebrity divorces have to pass the HMMcCartney test, do they deserve the cash because of their input? Heather didn't wash dishes so Paul could go to music school, did Mrs Gibson I wonder? Did Mrs Gibson have credits on his films? If Mrs Gibson had never married him would his financial situation have been substantially the same?

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    She's been his wife for 28 years and borne his children. There is no doubt she deserves half his wealth because marriage is an equal partnership after all of those years and both partners bring different but equally valuable attributes to the table, his as the earner and hers as the nurturer.
    It scares me how often I find myself agreeing with you.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    Originally posted by JamieMoles View Post
    I think the point I was trying to make was, that as a Dental Nurse she is hardly capable of making a fortune for herself. She has gotten used to being married to a rich actor but now wants to split off from him but keep the lifestyle she has become accustomed to.

This last point really grinds my gears - if you can get "accustomed" to not working and living the high life you can sure as hell get re-accustomed to getting out of bed in the morning, going to work and not living the high life anymore. Just ask anyone on here who is currently benched...

Talentless people who choose to divorce talented rich people should be cut off from the cash from day one - if you no longer want to be a part of that persons life, why on earth should their money be a part of yours!?!?!?

She's been his wife for 28 years and borne his children. There is no doubt she deserves half his wealth because marriage is an equal partnership after all of those years and both partners bring different but equally valuable attributes to the table, his as the earner and hers as the nurturer.
    Last edited by Cyberman; 14 April 2009, 20:58.

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied
    Where did I go wrong

Took me 8 years to get a divorce from my Ex, I paid the morgage for the 8 years we was togeather, and then 2 years afterwards, cost me several solicitors fees, my pension and after selling the house which was in my name only he got 90K and I got 10K.

Mrs Gibson - go for it.....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by denver2k View Post
    Theres a news today about Mel Gibson's wife could get half of his wealth after 28 years marriage.

I always wonder and would like to know the reason, how on earth it is justifyable to handout someones hard earned earnings to someone with whom he is seperating anyways.

If someone has earned all his money by himself, he would definitely share with wife when they are still in relation but why if they are seperating?

Why the law is such naive ??
    Perhaps he should have thought about it BEFOE getting married.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X