• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "the religion of peace"

Collapse

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    He's gone home, love

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by pleomax View Post
    So why do people say "Christ" or "Jesus"?
    Why not a deitiy from another religion?

Go back and reread my post!
    Because that's what they've been brought up with. Just like you don't say merde instead of tulip unless you're a frog.

So for christ's sake get a grip man! Doesn't quite ring the same as 'So for buddhas sake get a grip man'

Either way, get a grip.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Can't be bothered to look for it but a recent news item showed that the religious with life threatening conditions are far more likely to demand all possible efforts to keep them alive than us atheists.

Maybe better to just fade out like billions before you than to worry about whether you might end up in hell.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I never understand why people waste time arguing the existence of a god.
    The existence of a god who was quite unconcerned about us would be of purely academic interest.

What is relevant is whether a) there is an afterlife and b) if what we do on Earth affect the afterlife.

How is there an independent soul when a blow to the head, illness or drugs can totally change our natures? How is there free will or an equal chance of salvation when we are so clearly the product of our genes and upbringing?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    My knowledge of the Bible is more than the Koran obviously as I happened to be born into a Christian culture.
    And you're being pedantic - none of the above is news to me.
    What's your point exactly?
    Huh? Why does there have to be a point?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by landl View Post
    .. Controversial I know, but I just don't buy the idea that everything in nature was created purely by natural selection. I just think it's too unlikely...
    If you believe in a multiverse (and a lot of physicists do these days, although others scoff at the idea) it may be that the vast majority of universes, or individual "arenas" within the multiverse for want of a better word, have physical laws that prevent atoms forming or stars from burning, or only last a few microseconds, etc.

For example, string theory suggests there are around 10^500 different kinds of vacua (which determine the "laws of physics" in their environment).

So although we can exist, apparently due to a series of amazing coincidences, it's more a case that if it hadn't been for them then no life would be around in the first place. Try a search on "anthropic principle".

Also, even within our (observable) universe it may well be that the vast majority of planets are too hot for life, or too cold, or their orbits too oblique round their star, or their rotation axes too tipped over, etc, etc.

For all we know, the chance of a planet like Earth forming may be a 1 in a trillion. But again, we're here because we're here (which moreorless sums up the Anthropic Principle).

Leave a comment:

• pleomax
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    You are a clown if you seriously thing an expletive is a sign of belief.
    So why do people say "Christ" or "Jesus"?
    Why not a deitiy from another religion?

Go back and reread my post!

Leave a comment:

• pleomax
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    If god is so powerful why can't he delete this thread ?
    Because he would then be taking away what he gave us!
    Freedom of thought!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by landl View Post
    Cards on the table, I believe that there probably is a God.

Controversial I know, but I just don't buy the idea that everything in nature was created purely by natural selection. I just think it's too unlikely...

(snip)
    You may find this interesting:
    http://avt.wikidot.com/classic-arguments#toc3

Also (and of course) I'd refer you to "The God Delusion" which helped me over the very point you believe indicates that there must be a Grand Designer.

Happy Reading

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    when you've finished telling other people how stupid I am, maybe you'll have time to answer the questions you've so far avoided? thanks
    He's gone home, love

Leave a comment:

• contractor79
    replied
    I suspect its a sockpuppet and our chains are being yanked
    No one can be that stupid - on the other hand
    when you've finished telling other people how stupid I am, maybe you'll have time to answer the questions you've so far avoided? thanks

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Anyway its been fun but all this talk of beer ....

Happy Easter all - whatever that means to you!!

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    I do concur with the gentleman's supposition

Leave a comment:

• Rookie
    replied
    Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    please answer me- what would atheists do?
    Praying never did me any good. £50 up in smoke last saturday. Black Apalachi!!! What happened?!?!?!?!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    I've got problems trying to work out if you're on the wind up or if you really are a fruit bat.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X