• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Lake District....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lake District...."

Collapse

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    Ohh yeah obviously , thats one of the most important thing ...my mate just bought a quite expensive "business" camera ..for some serious business
    cool man, pack that wide angle lens

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
    Take your camera, its very dramatic round there, great scenes.
    Ohh yeah obviously , thats one of the most important thing ...my mate just bought a quite expensive "business" camera ..for some serious business

Leave a comment:

• Money Money Money
    replied
    Originally posted by denver2k View Post
    We are planning for 3 nights and 4 days. And yes we gona visit multiple places but within Lake district area (presumably thats quite big)

Thanks for your camping idea, but I have noticed that weather might be bit wet, thats why lads are not quite interested in that.

Specially, the statement on www.lake-district.gov.uk about Friday is more than enough to put us away from camping..

A brighter day with some sunshine but also a number of showers during the day. The showers will become heavy with snow above about 700M . Strong southwesterly winds across the tops along with a significant wind-chill effect.

Striding Edge had snow on it this Sunday, just at the top though!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Their argument is if we stay in Blackpool, we can have fun there and can drive up Lake district as well...n my argument of Carlisle is , its closer from where im at the moment...
    Really? I guess Blackpool's about as 'fun' as Magaluf.

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    Alright guys....

Thanks very much for all your help...

We just managed to get places in YHA Wastwater.

Gota get pair of Dr Martens now.....
    Take your camera, its very dramatic round there, great scenes.

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    Alright guys....

Thanks very much for all your help...

We just managed to get places in YHA Wastwater.

Gota get pair of Dr Martens now.....

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Got a place for the camper van. Looks like my lads will be seeing quite a lot of Hadrian's Wall this weekend. Which they'll be overjoyed to hear I expect.

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I reckon no chance, there are very few guest houses or hotels. Try somewhere just outside, for example on the West Coast, Gosforth or St Bees.
    Yeah thats what i might have to do now....

Im able to find a place in Carlisle, seem like a decent BnB n decent price...havnt booked it yet...

Im gig-ing in Scotland and my mates are driving from London. So,theres a tug of war, whether we should go for places up North (of Lake District) or South (kinda BloackPool-ish).

Their argument is if we stay in Blackpool, we can have fun there and can drive up Lake district as well...n my argument of Carlisle is , its closer from where im at the moment...

Interestingly, there are still some spaces available in a YHA within Lake district but its a Female dorm. Im trying to assure them that we are quite decent,professional and needy people and 'sexual discrimination' is no good...but no luck yet ...

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    We are planning for 3 nights and 4 days. And yes we gona visit multiple places but within Lake district area (presumably thats quite big)

Thanks for your camping idea, but I have noticed that weather might be bit wet, thats why lads are not quite interested in that.

Specially, the statement on www.lake-district.gov.uk about Friday is more than enough to put us away from camping..

A brighter day with some sunshine but also a number of showers during the day. The showers will become heavy with snow above about 700M . Strong southwesterly winds across the tops along with a significant wind-chill effect.

Well that's a warning for the hill walkers that head onto the hills in jeans and trainers, a very common sight around Easter and the reason that Mountain Rescue tend to be rather busy in the spring. I've helped to pull more than my fair share of corpses and exposure victims off the hills in the Lakes and Dales over the years, rather sad really since the majority were avoidable with basic (and not that expensive) equipment, common sense and prepartion.

the bits of the lakes where people stay and camp are much lower and warmer, rain however is pretty inevitable in the Lakes and is the main reason they're there.

Modern campervans are pretty damn good and up the scale a little on the luxury front, I've never rented one, but that might be an option. Another possibility is hiring a static caravan or moored boat.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I reckon no chance, there are very few guest houses or hotels. Try somewhere just outside, for example on the West Coast, Gosforth or St Bees.

Leave a comment:

• denver2k
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Serious option, had you considered taking a tent? It's not the warmest time of the year, but the flexibility and cost of camping can pay off.

You weren't specific about how many nights you're staying or if you want to visit multiple locations so my suggestion may be invalid if less than 2 nights.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    I've hired a camper van for me and the kids next week. Trouble is, I reserved it ages ago and never got round to booking anywhere, being a bit of a last-minute organiser, and now it turns out it's Easter weekend and everywhere is booked. D'oh.

I've got somewhere for Monday night and a different place for Tue-Fri, but still a bit stuck for Sat & Sun. Fortunately, we're not that bothered where we go, so something should turn up. Places I've booked are near Durham and then up in Berwick-upon-Tweed. Just need somewhere around Carlisle towards Newcastle for the first couple of nights.

First time I've tried a camper van, and it's a bit of a dry run for a possible continental tour in the Summer. Any tips would be welcome, of course. Like whether you can find a quiet lay-by for the night and get away with it. *cough*

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Serious option, had you considered taking a tent? It's not the warmest time of the year, but the flexibility and cost of camping can pay off.

You weren't specific about how many nights you're staying or if you want to visit multiple locations so my suggestion may be invalid if less than 2 nights.

Leave a comment:

• Money Money Money
    replied
    Stayed here this weekend, did the job and near all the mountains.

My top tip would be to climb Pavey Arch, when you get to the lake half way up take Jakes Rake to the top. - Lovely climb!

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Hostelworld.com will have something.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X