• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: iPhone

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "iPhone"

Collapse

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Sony have had those features for years. You've been missing out... except the itunes.
    does it have an app store equivalent? is it as seemless to install stuff as the iPhone?

the iPhone is not perfect, but it's pretty damn good and incredibly easy to use.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Foxy Moron View Post
    yes it is, > £300 a year is bad value for a phone that does some internet stuff and looks Kooool, but won't fit in your trouser pocket. IMHO
    my 910i fits in my trouser pocket. And it has a vibrate function.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    I have to say I was a bit of a phone luddite for a long time. All I wanted it to do was make phone calls. I didnt even use SMS that much.

Since having the iPhone I wouldnt be without it. I just love it. Everything works, without drama. No hangs, no crashes, no hicups. It is stupidly easy to use, the touch screen is simply brilliant.

The only thing that could be improved is the battery life, but since I plug it into my Mac at home everynight to sync it up anyway it's not an issue.
    Yep. Had the same with my 910i for three years. (only I sync it to a pc). So once again. What's all the bloody fuss about?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    I've got an iPhone and I love it.

For me the killer features are:
    - the app store and how easy it is to download applications. Evernote, Facebook, Last.FM
    - the mapping ability which is essentially a built in GPS
    - buying on iTunes using Shazam a music recognition service

I'm not saying the Sony doesn't have these, I've no idea, but these are my favourite features of the iPhone.
    Sony have had those features for years. You've been missing out... except the itunes.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    ...You cant send contacts via bluetooth or text tho... is that what you mean?
    text.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    I holding off buying until the best one comes out, circa 2092

Threaded
    Threaded eh?

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    You'd be better off jail-breaking it if you want all of those things. Or Moving to Android.
    Already jailbroken, not seen any of those features yet. Also I am a google apps user (well mail, calender, contacts) and so Andriod has some attraction with it's integration with those things.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    I got my iPhone the day it was released in the UK, it's very good, but there are couple of things that are pushing me to get a different phone as soon as my contract expires.

* The forced integration with iTunes, if I want to put new tunes on my phone, I have to do it through iTunes
    * The inability to use anything other than audio headsets with bluetooth. Where is my send recieve of files? External keyboards, bluetooth comm ports?
    * No MMS

It's a shame though as I think the UI is great, and I like the design of the phone overall. It's just a shame it was made by Apple who are such control freaks.
    The blue tooth restriction was to keep the carriers happy. It stops you tethering the phone to your lap top and using it as a modem with the free data service.

Sharepod will let you transfer files to and from your iPhone without having to use iTunes, although you still need it installed and it's windows only atm.

Leave a comment:

• Foxy Moron
    replied
    I holding off buying until the best one comes out, circa 2092

Threaded

Leave a comment:

• Sol4ever
    replied
    next generation iphone is out later this year, so hold off buying now!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    I got my iPhone the day it was released in the UK, it's very good, but there are couple of things that are pushing me to get a different phone as soon as my contract expires.

* The forced integration with iTunes, if I want to put new tunes on my phone, I have to do it through iTunes
    * The inability to use anything other than audio headsets with bluetooth. Where is my send recieve of files? External keyboards, bluetooth comm ports?
    * No MMS

It's a shame though as I think the UI is great, and I like the design of the phone overall. It's just a shame it was made by Apple who are such control freaks.
    You'd be better off jail-breaking it if you want all of those things. Or Moving to Android.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied

* No MMS

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    MM, Sounds like you need the shag it app

I'm sure my wife would have something to say about that

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    I'm on O2 and haven't had problems with coverage but I live in London. Are there any features that don't work when you use Vodafone? I was under the impression some things, like visual voicemail, only worked if the network supported it.
    Voicemail works fine...

As for coverage, like you say, works fine in the built up areas try using O2 in the valleys (Welsh like sounds) or perhaps north west coast - OK it might not be you but I know I can rely on vodafone for a connection when pottering around the highlands. It's not everyday but too many times is it more frustrating when you cannot make or receive that one call...

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Fit's in mine quite happily, in fact it's a damn site more comfortable to carry in a trouser pocket than most phones.
    WHS.

It's pretty slim compared to a lot of phones.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X