• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "No breaking SKA news just yet"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    you missed a trick, you should have sold it to the NSA a few years ago.

Up & at em AtW!!!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I think Majestic shows that the brute force hoover of data serves a purpose.
    Yes but it's on the lower side for added value. Adding some intelligence to it would have made it more saleable as a product.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    SKA has always been a dud.
    If AtW had put in some clever probabilistic/statistical/AI functionality into his product it would have worked, but it's just a not very clever brute force hoover of data.
    I think Majestic shows that the brute force hoover of data serves a purpose.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    SKA has always been a dud.
    If AtW had put in some clever probabilistic/statistical/AI functionality into his product it would have worked, but it's just a not very clever brute force hoover of data.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    But things are going well - keep faith.

sasguru.
    4 years later - still no news?

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    It wasn't me who did that post - it was sasguru...
    Go away! You promised!!!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I would be inclined to vote no on this one.

He has previous form that should be considered here.
    It wasn't me who did that post - it was sasguru...

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Mmmmmmmm - I wonder if I should believe him???
    I would be inclined to vote no on this one.

He has previous form that should be considered here.

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Until then - ta ta...

TFFT

Mmmmmmmm - I wonder if I should believe him???

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Until that time........ don't! Pleeeeeeeeeease!
    I'll be laughing using my other sockpuppets then.

Until then - ta ta...

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    The best part is that I know for fact I am going to have the last laugh at you chaps
    In thier heart of hearts everyone is happy for you and wishes you all the best.

When you are ready to have the last laugh please come back and tell us.

Until that time........ don't! Pleeeeeeeeeease!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    He who laughs last, doesn't get the joke.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    SKA must have trillions of email addresses.
    No it doesn't: any links with mailto: protocol are specifically ignored and while data parsing will pick up domain name references, it will ignore email addresses - all this because I don't want to have anything to do with emails.

SKA is an asset because it allowed to build the biggest web graph outside of Google - this is the key to relevancy, something that we sadly lacked big time. I know perfectly well our full text search isn't great at all - in order to change that we need:

a) very good understanding of web graph to index and rank better
    b) revenues to hire people and buy more servers

SKA is now succeeding in those pre-conditions necessary - I am actually now budgeting for hiring an excellent programmer to speed up R&D (I talk less on here too for that reason): how many of your own businesses hired anyone apart from your wife to minimise tax paid?

The best part is that I know for fact I am going to have the last laugh at you chaps

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    The only SKA that I am aware of is this one - http://www.skatelescope.org/

Its an advanced Radio-Astronomy telescope - it his what all the fuss is about ?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    SKA must have trillions of email addresses. It would be stupid not to go through the web and not pick up addresses.

SKA would be an asset for that alone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X