• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If I volunteed my 2 murderous felines their figures would go thru' the roof!"

Collapse

• dave20
    replied
    Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    I caught a cat with a bird in its mouth a couple of years back, gave the cat a kick, and it released the bird. Unfortunately, it did not survive. The bird was ok though.

take a bow.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Why anyone would want to keep an animal in slavery is beyond me.

If you impose dependency on a pet, you are enforcing a lack of freedom on the creature.

In essence, the animal depends on humans for its food.

If an animal was free and able to find its own food, then it's very unlikely that any single animal would show affection to humans.

Humans "condition" animals to behave how we want them to behave, so they comply in order to survive.

We "demand" affection for our own personal interests, not for the animal's.

I would like to think that humans don't treat their own offspring in such a way, so why do we do it with animals ?

The most love that a person can give another or a creature is its freedom.

Love gives freedom. Love that doesn't give freedom, is not love.

An animal does not give love. It gives whatever behaviour its master or mistress has conditioned it to give, in order to secure food and shelter.

It wouldn't call such an animal a pet.

I'd call it a slave.
    I am a slave to my cats. I would love to kick them out but I suspect Mrs BP would boot me out before them....

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Why anyone would want to keep an animal in slavery is beyond me.

If you impose dependency on a pet, you are enforcing a lack of freedom on the creature.

In essence, the animal depends on humans for its food.

If an animal was free and able to find its own food, then it's very unlikely that any single animal would show affection to humans.

Humans "condition" animals to behave how we want them to behave, so they comply in order to survive.

We "demand" affection for our own personal interests, not for the animal's.

I would like to think that humans don't treat their own offspring in such a way, so why do we do it with animals ?

The most love that a person can give another or a creature is its freedom.

Love gives freedom. Love that doesn't give freedom, is not love.

An animal does not give love. It gives whatever behaviour its master or mistress has conditioned it to give, in order to secure food and shelter.

It wouldn't call such an animal a pet.

I'd call it a slave.

Leave a comment:

• Cyberman
    replied
    I caught a cat with a bird in its mouth a couple of years back, gave the cat a kick, and it released the bird. Unfortunately, it did not survive. The bird was ok though.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by dave20 View Post

cats just eat and sleep at home then wander around all day on their own. It's not like you can take them for a walk or anything.
    I resemble that remark

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I've forgotten it myself. Let's both have a go at Dodgy.
    Both have a go at me! I am far more attention seeking than him!

<runs off to tpd just in case>

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Our local sparrow hawk insists on eating my blackbirds rather than those bluddy wood pidgeons...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    awww. Feel the love.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Well I'm sorry if I offended.

I just really didn't get the point you were making.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Really. I must have misinterpreted comments like:
    Well I'm sorry if I offended.

I just really didn't get the point you were making.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    eh? BM is one of the most polite posters on here : possibly the most polite.
    Really. I must have misinterpreted comments like:

Try some beta blockers. Your BP must be permanently through the roof.
    What the fekk are you on about now?
    Eh? Go and have a lie down.
    Sound and fury signifying nothing &c...
    (implied "tale told by an idiot...")

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    It's quite low actually. I'm not stressed, I just see what is wrong and mouth about it.

You are being rude. Not terminally rude. Yet.
    eh? BM is one of the most polite posters on here : possibly the most polite.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Now you are being more rude. How is your BP?
    Sorry I just don't understand what you're getting at sometimes.

Sound and fury signifying nothing &c...

Just say what you mean in plain English.

My BP is through the roof - as usual.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Mowing orange peel into the lawn works quite well at stopping cats crapping on your lawn.

Most effective though is to wait until they're just about to squat, and open fire with a super-soaker.
    Like the orange peel

Have tried stalking them but since they are fed and I have to work, they have more time than I do and can always wait me out.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Eh? Go and have a lie down.
    Now you are being more rude. How is your BP?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X