• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I may finally have blown it…"

Collapse

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by techno View Post
    It was tounge in cheek you tit.
    Shall I take that as notification of meeting my criteria??

I am assuming that you meant to type "you titled gentleman" ie Sir
    rather than (just) "you tit"

Leave a comment:

• techno
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    The meaning of the words....

It was tounge in cheek you tit.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    I enjoy reading (many of) the comments from (many of) the contributers to this forum they are (often):
    a) Witty
    b) Amusing
    c) Thought provoking
    d) Interesting
    Where's the 'complete bag of arse' option?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Are (you) sure that (you) need to use so many of (those) parenthesis or "maybe" you could use "even" less speech marks "!"

fewer

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    (er) the use of a Wink smiley could be interpreted to imply my response is "tongue in cheek" (or if read in conjunction with the "er" could be read in another way)

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Are (you) sure that (you) need to use so many of (those) parenthesis or "maybe" you could use "even" less speech marks "!"

The meaning of the words (without the parenthesised interjections) should not be (badly) affected by the parenthesis. The sentence (without parenthesis) should still make sense. The (parenthesised) interjections (should) add deeper meaning or interpretation to what is "said".

For example (as I know you need one) I might parenthesise to convey humour or sarcasm (which I am unable to convey via voice tone, facial expresion) into the "true" meaning of what I write.

The quotes are to (either) emphasise or alter the (true) meaning of the written words and (sometimes) to indicate a direct quote (hence quote marks).

I enjoy reading (many of) the comments from (many of) the contributers to this forum they are (often):
    a) Witty
    b) Amusing
    c) Thought provoking
    d) Interesting

When you feel able to achieve any of these criteria please let me know (although I will not hold my breath in anticipation)

(er) the use of a Wink smiley could be interpreted to imply my response is "tounge in cheek" (or if read in conjunction with the "er" could be read in another way)

The choice is (obviously) yours!

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Of course, good luck with the interview.

Sorry, I always seem to be apologising for being premature.
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Shall I send you some of my spam? I'm sure there are firms that can help you with that
    sperm

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Many companies don't have a permanent test department, and if they do it's often staffed by numpties they had to move from development.
    That's so true. Only the worst people are taken to perform the test roles. And that is so foolish considering that testing is probably the most important phase of all.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Why would a company use a contractor for a Test Manager? The title suggests it's the top guy in the testing department, or is that not the case?
    Many companies don't have a permanent test department, and if they do it's often staffed by numpties they had to move from development.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    OK, that makes sense. It just seemed like the kind of post that would normally be permie.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Why would a company use a contractor for a Test Manager? The title suggests it's the top guy in the testing department, or is that not the case?
    Well I have done this in the past - basically to buy in the expertise on a short term basis. Its not necessarily the top guy / gal in the test dept it could be the top guy / gal on just one specific programme of work, when that work finishes the post disappears, or in the case of some companies they realise they need some-one more centrally and the post transfers across. Unfortunately when it becomes centralised it becomes less useful but that's another story.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    NEWS. Have just been phoned by an agent well known to me whom I sent my CV; I can go to interview this week for a gig paying 10% more than current ClientCo did before the rate cut. Client looking for Test Manager who ‘telle the truth with no BS’. Potential BOOM.

Leave a comment:

• Ivor Bigun
    replied
    my professional opinion

As opposed to the opinion of people who have no training or experience in what they're managing.
    One outburst is OK in a team meeting, don't do it again and it will be forgotten.
    All the "Hey Jethro, you done well thar - yeehaa!" sentiments are just stupid.
    IMO, You should be re-thinking about this and quick.

In terms of work.......
    No-one really wants someone who calls a "spade a spade" in the way you're behaving. Shouting, bawling and insulting team members just gets you an early termination bath.

lso, I don't think the following applies to you really, BUT it maybe unfairly written down by the people who are asked for feedback about you.
    When under pressure, he requires significant management direction to keep on track.

Put it this way, it won't be reported that you were right and saved the day

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Sometimes you have to be good to yourself. You're only flesh and blood, not a god.

If you care, being professional day in, day out, taking the crap and doing the job right in a crap environment can only be done for so long.

You then either get physically ill, mentally ill, take it out on the family, start drinking even more to excess or in some other way show the stress.
    So true. There comes a point where it is NOT worth it.

Leave a comment:

• eliquant
    replied
    I always find to take the path of least resistance, even though it winds me up when I'm in those God awful situations, I just think to myself in 6 months - 1 years time these people will be a faded memory nothing more.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X